Young Guns

Who do you think are the top freshman and under runners to keep an eye out for during the 2010 cross country season in both Class A and AA?

Connor Olson.

Amber Seidenkranz, Erin Baker, Hannah Grim & Bailey Ness

Lumbars

9th graders- Aaron Breyer and Lumbars

8th- It will be intersesting see Connor Olson and Shane Streich improve on very solid 7th grade seasons

7th- Hopefully we get some more young studs. Does anybody know about any upandcoming kids???

Spencer Urick

qf to the eezle

Freshman Isaiah Barlow from Hutchinson.

Ran a 17:04 at monti today and a 17:14 at st. cloud.

Just a kid to keep an eye on.

I see that his teammate Alec Anderson grade 8 ran a 17:38 at Monticello…that’s pretty impressive also.

thatswhatshesaid

Jesse Delgado, 7th, Waseca, 17:16.5. Nice side kick for Streich for the next 4+ years.

Cesar was under 18 last year and he’s in 8th grade too.

tayler arness from stillwater won the jv at faribault with 17:12 on a sloppy course

That course is the flattest course in Minnesota. The time is nothing to go off of, but the fact that he won the race is encouraging for him as a freshman.
Stillwater’s squad is very deep this year.

http://www.mnroy.com/minnesota_all_time_age_records_women_5_kilometers.htm

Talk about raising the dead. And its interesting to see that many people had their eyes on the right people for so long. Delgado from Waseca is a bust if he really ran a 17:16 in 7th grade.

Just goes to show that running fast young does not cause success, but it’s certainly correlated.

Best freshmen
Jon Hall- Milaca, Ben Olson- Blaine, George Nowak- Edina, Sam Moerbitz- Lakeville South, Trenton Allen- Eagan, Sam Elliot- Edina, Connor Janostin- Champlin Park, Isaac Krahn- Stillwater, Khalid Hussein- Wayzata, Blake Buyesse- Wayzata, Sam Himes- Robbinsdale Armstrong, Graham Maas- Wayzata, Ben Wicklund- Stillwater

There are a lot more that might make the list. Here are three that might fit in: Hunter Zupko-Little Falls, Ryan Ferholz-Sartell/St Stephen, and Nick Olfert- Shakopee.
I wonder how it changes the development of a runner if they come from a deep program and aren’t needed for varsity until they are 11th/12th grade or a smaller scale and they have to run varsity early. I’m guessing both Olson and Streich have very similar mental toughness but I wonder how this difference affects the development of young runners.

2014 crop of 8th graders I’ve been watching the past two years: Dan Lee of Roseville, Caleb Haugland & Oscar McFadden from Mpls Washburn, Lucas Gustafson from Elk River, and Andrew Haines from Forest Lake. They’re not quite to the level of a 2013 Ben Olson, but they’ve been winning everything in middle school/junior high races (including setting course records) and have been making decent showings in JV and varsity races. I hope they can keep it together for the next 4 years – it’ll really be fun if they do.

6th place for Grace Ping in the 2014 USATF JO 3k CC meet 11-12 year-olds today.

http://branchsportstech.com/2014_Meets/xc/12-13-USATF/Web/Results.php?EN=5&SN=F&ST=Official&EID=003f3ca5473e4861af220c19338e8ae2