XC State Challenge

Lets do a bit of a challenge. How bout a nice little contest see how everyone does in picking the podium for boys individuals and top 3 teams all divisions. Thought it’d be about the right time as we can see fairly well how everyone is doing. Make some kinda point system then and see how everyone does in picking. I’m sure with how knowlegable a lot of you guys are there’d be some predictions that are pretty close. Thought it might be fun to play around with for right now.

okok. try this on for size:

D1: 1 sam penzenstadler
2. tommy meister
3. sam hacker
4. dan schubert
5 russel sandvold
6 robbie mcdonald

Teams: 1 mad west
2 marquette
3 arrowhead

D2: 1 trevor wunnicke
2 grey davis
3 joe mckenna
4 michael evans
5 garrett patrick
6 ryan mccoy

Teams: 1 Pewaukee
2 Shorewood
3 Dodgeville/MP

D3: 1Jack taylor
2 D.T. McDonald
3 andres tineopaz
4 Tyson Miehe
5 Dennis Haak
6 Alex Faber

Teams:1 Kenosha St. Joes
2 Darlington
3 Lourdes

Very good.
I’ll throw mine up too, just didn’t wanna be the first on my own post.

D1 1. Meister
2. Hacker
3. Penzenstadler
4. Sandvold
5. Schubert
6. Swanson

Teams 1. Mad West
2. Arrowhead
3. Marquette

D2

1. Wunnicke
  2. Patrick
  3. Davis
  4. Evans
  5. Johnson
  6. Mckenna

Teams
Shorewood
Pewaukee
DMP

D3
Taylor
Mcdonald
Miehe
Tienopaz
Faber
Haak

Teams
Kenosha St. Joseph
Lourdes
Darlington

how long do we get?

Good question. We’ll know a lot more after this week, and even more after Sectionals. Those who already posted predictions: you got guts…I’m going to wait it out a bit.
I know one thing for sure: any tie-breakers have got to go to whoever posted first/earliest.

haha i’m not in charge of this…just threw it out there. i’d say i agree with the last post earliest gets more points but i’m biased. hahaha

Here’s what I can predict with reasonable confidence:

D1 Team

1. Marquette
  2. Madison West
  3. Arrowhead

D1 Individual

I really have no idea, except that it is surely going to be one of the greatest state meet battles ever up front with the winner being either Penzenstadler, Hacker, Meister, or Schubert.

D2 Team

1. Pewaukee
  2. Shorewood
  3. Port Washington

D2 Individual

1. Trevor Wunnicke
  2. Michael Evans
  3. Mike Christianson
  4. Grey Davis
  5. Joe Pendleton
  6. Garrett Patrick

D1:

1. Madison West

2. Marquette

3. Arrowhead

4. Tommy Meister

5. Sam Penzenstadler

6. Sam Hacker

7. Dan Schubert

8. Russ Sandovold

9. Josiah Swanson

D2:

1. Shorewood (how could I not do this??)

2. Pewaukee

3. Port Washington

4. Wunnicke

5. Davis

6. McCoy

7. Evans

8. Pendleton

9. Martin

D3:

1. Kenosha St. Joes

2. Darlington

3. Lourdes

4. Taylor

5. McDonald

6. Scopp

7. Miehe

8. Paz

9. Haak

D1 Team - These 3 teams have all impressed me a ton, and any one of them could win it. I’m expecting less than 10 points between 1st and 3rd, with King just a few points back as well. King’s problem is that these 3 teams could put 5,6, or even 7 runners in front of their 4th man.

1. Madison West
  2. Arrowhead
  3. Marquette

D1 Individual - Another wide open race, which will hopefully lead to some fast times. Any of the top 4 have an excellent shot at the win. McDonald would have been in the 5th spot, but I’m not sure about his health.

1. Meister
  2. Hacker
  3. Penzenstadler
  4. Schubert
  5. Sandvold
  6. Derner

D2 Team - Hard to remove all bias from this, but I definitely think it is a 2 team race.

1. Shorewood
  2. Pewaukee
  3. Dodgeville/Mineral Point

D2 Individual - This is even more wide open than D1. I’d say there are about 10 guys who could end up on top of the podium that really wouldn’t surprise me.

1. Wunnicke
  2. McKenna
  3. McCoy
  4. Gundry
  5. Evans
  6. Pendleton

D3 Team - I don’t really know much about D3, so I’m just throwing out guesses.

1. Lourdes
  2. Kenosha St. Joes
  3. Darlington

D3 Individual

1. McDonald
  2. Taylor
  3. Miehe
  4. Tineo Paz
  5. Haak
  6. Scopp

I apologize for posting this in two threads, however I think it’s important as no one has posted a simple post listing all of the qualifying teams yet. I know this is already common knowledge by now, however if you’re anything like me, it helps to have it all spelled out in one place…

D1 Boys Team State Qualifiers

1 Muskego
2 Waukesha North

1 Kenosha Tremper
2 Westosha Central

1 Janesville Craig
2 Madison La Follet

1 Kimberly
2 Bay Port

1 Arrowhead
2 Germantown

1 Madison West
2 Middleton

1 Marquette
2 Milwaukee King

1 La Crosse Logan
2 Hudson

1 Stevens Point
2 D.C. Everest

1 Neenah
2 Fon du Lac

I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before Zen comes about and posts an extensive statistical breakdown of all individual and team qualifiers for boys and girls D1-D3. Perhaps if someone is really ambitious enough, they may attempt to rank all twenty…

I will gobble and eat up my words from our early season predictions when I thought that Arrowhead was still a year away based upon their inexperience and a lack of Will Conley. Based upon what I have seen in the past month and their great performance at Tendick Park, they are my favorite to win D1.

D1

1. Meister
  2. Hacker
  3. Penzenstadler
  4. Schubert
  5. Sandvold
  6. Swanson

Teams 1. Marquette
2. Arrowhead
3. Mad West

D2

1. Gray Davis
  2. Joe McKenna
  3. Jon Leudke
  4. G. Patrick
  5. Wunnicke
  6. J. Martin

Teams
Shorewood
Pewaukee
Dodgville
PORT WASHINGTON(Bias)

D3
Taylor
Mcdonald
Miehe
Tienopaz
Faber
Wierzba

Teams
Kenosha St. Joseph
Lourdes
Rosholt

haha that’s awfully weak bias. i think 4th is the absolute worst they are likely to place. the way i see it, Pewaukee > Shorewood > Port >>> everyone else. Dodgeville and Aquinas both showed this weekend that their depth is absolute crap, and that is going to kill them at state. there are decent gaps between the top three teams, but those three are all legit, whereas i suspect the rest of the top ranked teams are going to be revealed as pretenders next weekend.

D1 top teams:

1. Arrowhead
  2. Marquette
  3. Madison West (I really think racing as much as they have will come back to bite them)
    Arrowhead and Madison West have the front runners but Marquette has more depth. We’ll see how it plays out but I think the second tier pack Marquette has will bury Madison West. It’ll be close between all three though (30 points).

D1 individuals:

1. Meister
  2. Hacker
  3. Schubert
  4. Sandvold
  5. Penzenstadler
  6. Hansen
    Toss up between those top 3 in my opinion, but Meister has just torn it up too much this season to bet against him.

D2 team:

1. Pewaukee
  2. Shorewood
  3. Port Washington

D2 individuals:

1. Wunnicke
  2. McKenna
  3. Davis
  4. Patrick
  5. Evans
  6. Martin

The boys D1 race will be the most exciting we’ve seen in quite some time. So many legitimate contenders, both team and individual. I don’t remember the last time there wasn’t a definitive team favorite heading into state (even though Marquette got upset last year, they were the definitive favorite going in). Does anyone really know what will happen?

Good stuff. Really, really good stuff.

Nothing against last years teams but this years teams, especially d1 wise seem a lot deeper than last years. This year seems to be the year of the 3-5 guys.

Totaly agree. No disrespect to the '09 BC, MQ or Spash squads, but they’d all have a hard time finishing top 6 in this year’s meet if everything goes as I expect it will.

I am still worried that Arrowhead is too young. I don’t think Dubnicka is quite ready yet, and I’m getting a feeling that Bierman is wearing down a bit. They will be far and away the favorites in 2011, however. My current prediction is as follows.

1. Marquette
  2. Madison West
  3. Milwaukee King
  4. Arrowhead

the ridges can sometimes take whats expected and turn its on its head, its alot harder of a course than most ppl are used to combined with nerves

I agree and have also been very impressed with the depth of the teams at the top. For the longest time, I argued that if you could have 5 runners run 17:00 or better (no slower than 85:00 team time) at the Ridges, you could be around 5th place at the state meet. I think the quality and depth has gotten better this year and 85:00 wont cut it.