XC spikeless recommendation pls

Very good and improving HS XC runner. Have run last couple years with ASICS Gel Kayano (tall runner with wide foot and heavy strike and pronation so need cushion and pronation control) and love them. Have tried super lightweight flats and got hip injuries after using them so have only run races in the trainers since then. Time to move up to faster shoes. Considering ASICS Gel DS Racer 8 since similar model to trainer shoe and has moderate support without weighing too much more than most other flats. Your recommendations?

i dont think your going to get hurt from running in spikes for around 20mins or less. but if they really arent enough support for races go with a racing flat…nike streaks have good support, lunar racer, brooks t6s.

im sure there is enough here you will find something:
http://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-MR…ml?SHOW=NOBRAND

Originally posted by RMMH91@Jun 22 2010, 12:02 PM
[b]i dont think your going to get hurt from running in spikes for around 20mins or less. but if they really arent enough support for races go with a racing flat…nike streaks have good support, lunar racer, brooks t6s.

im sure there is enough here you will find something:
http://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-MR…ml?SHOW=NOBRAND[/b]

Thanks for the URL. I found exactly the shoe (Asics Gel DS Racer 8) that I was already asking about in your URL list so that seems good. All paths seem to lead to runneringwarehouse and so far noone dislikes that shoe model. Note - Nike shoes seem to be too narrow for my wide foot so I generally avoid them.

I wondered if the hip injuries after running in flats were coincidences but the injury happened twice in a row immediately after wearing flats in a 5K race so I figured it better to remain healthy and run races in heavy trainers after that. I looked around online and didn’t find any convincing evidence one way or another if lack of shoe support could cause hip injuries in runners but personal experience was that cushioned motion control shoes did not lead to hip injuries so I kept doing that. (Doctor it hurts when I do this… Don’t do that!) :smiley:

[b]Thanks for the URL. I found exactly the shoe (Asics Gel DS Racer 8) that I was already asking about in your URL list so that seems good. All paths seem to lead to runneringwarehouse and so far noone dislikes that shoe model. Note - Nike shoes seem to be too narrow for my wide foot so I generally avoid them.

I wondered if the hip injuries after running in flats were coincidences but the injury happened twice in a row immediately after wearing flats in a 5K race so I figured it better to remain healthy and run races in heavy trainers after that. I looked around online and didn’t find any convincing evidence one way or another if lack of shoe support could cause hip injuries in runners but personal experience was that cushioned motion control shoes did not lead to hip injuries so I kept doing that. (Doctor it hurts when I do this… Don’t do that!) :smiley: [/b]

i wore trainers fresh/soph year b.c my spikes hurt my feet and didnt know any better but then found out there were racing flats and wore the brooks t3s for a while but soon realized i was just sold the cheapest spike possible and finally found out not all spikes would hurt my feet…

as far as the injury it could be imbalance in pelvic area/ or the need for a stronger core to support pelvic area or if your a relativity new runner just a need for stronger hip muscles which will come from running more/maybe adding in a strength routine eventually, its hard to tell. but try the flats you might never have any problems again.

[quote]Originally posted by RMMH91@Jun 22 2010, 09:20 PM
[b][quote][b]Thanks for the URL.

If you haven’t already ordered the DS Racers yet, I would also look into the Brooks ST4 and the Saucony Fasttwitch 3’s. The Fasttwitches probably run too narrow but the ST4’s are fairly wide. My foot size is officially a 102E (wide) and they fit ST4’s in a 10.5 perfectly.

The [strike]new streak xc’s are coming out[/strike]…nevermind, not til 2011. I heard good things about the old streaks though. Also, the saucony shays are super comfortable and are coming out with new colors. They are pretty rugged and not too heavy.

I should have also added a more basic question before deciding which racer to get. Is it worth it? How much time improvement would there typically be running with light racers versus heavy trainers? (ASICS Gel Kayano are 12.8 oz and ASICS Gel DS Racer 8 are 7.9 oz)

[quote]Originally posted by URFasterThanMe@Jun 25 2010, 11:33 AM
[b] I should have also added a more basic question before deciding which racer to get.