WMASS XC Championship

http://www.directathletics.com/meets/xc/3550.html

Predictions, course conditions after this weekend?

Nice effort but my guess is that there will be little chatter about this race on here.

tough division to predict but heres my guesses…

Amherst
Northampton
Ludlow

Not the Western Mass meet, but same area -
I’ve heard that PVIAC has been moved from Stanley Park to Holyoke Community College due to the snow. Does anyone know what the HCC course will look like? Is it an extant one, or one being created just for this? I’ve been there before, but not to run, and wonder where the course goes - the access roads? the woods behind the college? route 202? If there are trails, what are they like, especially after this snow?

That’s a shame. Stanley Park is a great course… Especially its 8k course:D . I was out that way during the storm and actually went to Stanley Park to check out the damage. A lot of snow and a lot of trees down.

Stanley Park’s 5k is probably my favorite in Western MA, so I’m also a bit disappointed by this.

I was sent this link to a course map, though. ‘PVIAC at HCC’ bike map |
It seems to say the course is 3 miles, but I don’t know whether that is because it actually is or because it’s 5k but digitizing the route cut corners and made it seem shorter.
Anyways, it’s now a moderately hilly road race.

I walked the course yesterday with the meet director. We wheeled it at 3.1. The roads on the maps like this often aren’t exact and looking at the map the parking lot at the bottom of the map isn’t exactly right. If you want a map that shows the miles and the loops (as that map just has a green line and can get confusing) go here. http://pviac.net/uploads/PVIAC_Cross_Country_Info_HCC__2011.pdf

Thanks, I thought the issue of the distance might be something like that. That map is a lot clearer, too.

PVIAC results: Cool Running :: PVIAC XC Championship Race Results
Apparently I was wrong about it being a slower course than Stanley Park - despite the hills, the fact that it was almost all pavement seems to have made it quite fast.
Ludlow did not run their varsity (boys or girls).
Springfield Republican article (inaccurate as to scores in the boys’ race and the claim that the course was notably flat): Amherst sweeps PVIAC cross country titles. - MassLive.com

Western Mass. predictions:

Boys D1:

1. Amherst
  2. Holyoke
  3. Northampton
    Ludlow could also qualify, but their fourth and fifth would have to move up substantially relative to where they have been against Northampton and Amherst throughout the season.
    Individual: Dan Crowley, Cody Hodgins, Blake Croteau

Girls D1:

1. Amherst
  2. Longmeadow
  3. Northampton
    Individual: Camille Blackman, Madison Granger, Audrey Gould

Boys D2:

1. Mt. Greylock
  2. Lenox
  3. Cathedral
    Individual: Scott Carpenter, Mark Hegarty, Sam Burke
    Matt Cheung was a junior last year, but I can’t find any results for him this year. Has he been racing?

Girls D2:

1. Mt. Greylock
  2. Lenox
  3. Mohawk
    Individual: Mackenzie Hitchcock, Natalie Mako, Emily Kaegi

PVIAC results: Cool Running :: PVIAC XC Championship Race Results
Apparently I was wrong about it being a slower course than Stanley Park - despite the hills, the fact that it was almost all pavement seems to have made it quite fast.
Ludlow did not run their varsity (boys or girls).
Springfield Republican article (inaccurate as to scores in the boys’ race and the claim that the course was notably flat): Amherst sweeps PVIAC cross country titles. - MassLive.com

Western Mass. predictions:

Boys D1:

1. Amherst
  2. Holyoke
  3. Northampton
    Ludlow could also qualify, but their fourth and fifth would have to move up substantially relative to where they have been against Northampton and Amherst throughout the season.
    Individual: Dan Crowley, Cody Hodgins, Blake Croteau

Girls D1:

1. Amherst
  2. Longmeadow
  3. Northampton
    Individual: Camille Blackman, Madison Granger, Audrey Gould

Boys D2:

1. Mt. Greylock
  2. Lenox
  3. Cathedral
    Individual: Scott Carpenter, Mark Hegarty, Sam Burke
    Matt Cheung was a junior last year, but I can’t find any results for him this year. Has he been racing?

Girls D2:

1. Mt. Greylock
  2. Lenox
  3. Mohawk
    The third team spot is rather hard to predict, as Hampshire Regional, Holyoke Catholic, and Frontier - all D2 teams - had average times within 4 seconds of Mohawk’s at PVIAC. Any of them could qualify with a good race.
    Individual: Mackenzie Hitchcock, Natalie Mako, Emily Kaegi

http://www.coolrunning.com/results/11/ma/Nov12_2011MI_set4.shtml

Carpenter/Blackman class of the field:D

That D1 boys race must have been something to see.

I know that this course is slow, but how does it compare to Franklin’s course?

I would say it’s 30-45 seconds slower for just about everyone right off the bat, but you could shave as much as a minute off going from Northfield Mountain (key word) to Franklin Park without it being a real shock.