Vegetarian Diet

Posted this in the Playground, but figured there may be people who don’t post there who could give some knowledge.

Thinking about eliminating meat and what not from my diet. Looking for thoughts and ideas from people who have done this before or currently don’t eat meat.

Thanks in advance.

I have tried being vegetarian and even vegan, for health reasons. While it is possible that I did not do it long enough, it didn’t help my health. It was more important (for me at least) to eliminate most processed food.

Can I ask why you’re doing it?

a nutritionist and does not advise doing either - for health reasons. Our bodies evolved eating meat and plants. To take away one source of nutrition that our bodies evolved eating requires very disciplined diets to replace the loss. If you have to give up meat at least don’t go vegan unless you are prepared for a very strict regimen.

We cut back on meat to cut back on fat and cut back on processed meat because of the nitrites. But we did not eliminate it from our diet. We still eat a good bit of cheese, but limit the serving sizes due to fat. And we still eat eggs, but not frequently. We drink milk daily plus take calcium supplements. The secret is eat in moderation.

If you notice, the reports on what is healthy changes so frequently and are so contradictory, what they tell you today is bad, tomorrow or next week will be good, and vice-versa.

I don’t completely disagree with your main point, but just wanted to point out that we weren’t evolved to eat dairy or whole grains, yet we eat them all the time. So it’s certainly possible to differ from our ancient eating habits and still be healthy.

Mainly health reason. I’m not anti-eating meat, just want to be a bit healthier.

I’m not going to be full on vegan or anything like that, just cut out meat and what not. Still eat eggs and dairy and what not.

you can eat nothing but meat and get all you need so healthily sustain you. That can’t be said for any other food group. So, if you cut out meat, you have to substitute it with several other foods. That’s why they don’t recommend eliminating meat from our diets. Cutting back is key. Just like eating too many carbs is bad.

I’m curious what the health reason is. I’m not going to advise you – I have an autoimmune disease, which is why I tried it. The results didn’t seem to justify it, although again, maybe it was so subtle I didn’t feel it, or I didn’t do it long enough. However, cutting out on processed food made a bigger difference. So eating less breads, pastries, cakes, packaged waffles, I definitely feel better, not only physically, but there’s an admitted cognitive boost from not ingesting all those ungodly things on the labels. Meat I eat occasionally, mostly lean, not to excess. Another thing’s made a difference for me is fish oil. I take 4 grams of it a day. Definitely feel better from that too. And I have a protein/vitamin shake for dinner most days. I noticed having a lighter dinner helps me sleep better.

It’s not like a health problem, I just feel like I’d be healthier if I ate healthier.

Right now I eat a lot of chicken and shrimp and cheese stick that you buy at Sam’s Club and throw in the oven. I feel like I could probably eat a lot healthier, and since that’s essentially all the meat that I eat, cutting that out would almost completely eliminate meat from my diet.

is eating balanced meals in moderate quantities. And it is OK to treat yourself once in a while. Watch fat intake, watch sugar intake, and watch starch intake. This is according to my boss (my wife).

I certainly love the emphasis on moderation, as I agree that eating habits based on elimination rather than creation are rarely effective, but (and this will be familiar to anyone familiar with Michael Pollan), you start to lose me with the “fat…sugar…starch” simplification of things.

high fat causes heart disease. Starch converts quickly to glycogen as does sugar - these store in the cells as fat. Some say it blocks the release of glycogen from the cells causing the cells to convert it to fat.

Today, a new study was released that eating significant quantities of chocolate reduces the chance of cancer by 30%, but other studies show eating significant amounts of chocolate causes weight gain which increases the risk of heart disease and cancer. This study is something new from the fairly recent studies showing dark chocolate lowers heart disease risk because of antioxidants. So, three different studies with three conflicting results…:rolleyes:

So you are saying Chocolate & Bacon Maple Cupcakes are a N:eek: N:eek: ?

to treat yourself occasionally! I prefer dark chocolate ice cream with bacon caramel topping. :rolleyes: Everything is better with a little pork on it! :smiley: