In no particular order:
1. Jordan Hasay = female Ryan Hall.
She needs try her hand at the marathon sooner rather than later. She shouldn’t make Hall’s mistake and stay there if she has initial success, but this girl can’t kick her way out of a wet paper bag at any distance. HS 1500 success, like Hall, was clearly due to monstrous aerobic capacity and just enough speed to get the job done. That won’t cut it as a pro, even at 10,000.
Rule of thumb: If you want to medal at 10,000, you must be capable (not actually have run it, but capable of it) of the 1500 Oly “A” standard. For women, that was 4:06.00 for London. Despite a long history at the distance and many attempts, Hasay’s PR is 4:07.70 from Glasgow last summer. That won’t cut it and it explains why Hasay’s last two European seasons have ended with DNFs at 5,000. She is completely out of her depth in a world class 5,000 and just barely there at 10,000.
She needs to go the Ritz route, blending track, cross and marathon with the marathon her event for international championships. Truthfully, I’d strongly consider having her run a fall marathon this year and then consider the Trials Marathon if the results warrant it.
2. Andrews is BACK
Fantastic running by Robby. Yes, I know they jogged the opening quarter, but not once did he go to the back, even leading briefly early on at one point. He stayed in contact the whole time, though he go himself boxed briefly a couple of times. He looks fit, focused, and hungry. Seemed poised in post-race interview. The next test is to see how responds in a fast rabbited race.
3. WTF is up with Rowbury’s hot pink lipstick?
4. Seriously bummed when Ajee Wilson went down. Really like that girl.
5. Thrilled that Bernard Jacobs (or is Regina Lagat?) wasn’t there.
6. Ben Blankenship seriously surprised me.
7. Riley looked great.
8. Would’ve loved to see Lomong run better and wish he’d been in the 2M instead.
9. Derrick got dropped like a bad habit but this was almost certainly just a tuneup for him before World Cross.
10. German was clearly there to rabbit for his teammates. Sad when an 8:37 2M is his best race recently, though I wonder how he could’ve done if he didn’t rabbit.