Thoughts following USATF nats

In no particular order:

1. Jordan Hasay = female Ryan Hall.

She needs try her hand at the marathon sooner rather than later. She shouldn’t make Hall’s mistake and stay there if she has initial success, but this girl can’t kick her way out of a wet paper bag at any distance. HS 1500 success, like Hall, was clearly due to monstrous aerobic capacity and just enough speed to get the job done. That won’t cut it as a pro, even at 10,000.

Rule of thumb: If you want to medal at 10,000, you must be capable (not actually have run it, but capable of it) of the 1500 Oly “A” standard. For women, that was 4:06.00 for London. Despite a long history at the distance and many attempts, Hasay’s PR is 4:07.70 from Glasgow last summer. That won’t cut it and it explains why Hasay’s last two European seasons have ended with DNFs at 5,000. She is completely out of her depth in a world class 5,000 and just barely there at 10,000.

She needs to go the Ritz route, blending track, cross and marathon with the marathon her event for international championships. Truthfully, I’d strongly consider having her run a fall marathon this year and then consider the Trials Marathon if the results warrant it.

2. Andrews is BACK

Fantastic running by Robby. Yes, I know they jogged the opening quarter, but not once did he go to the back, even leading briefly early on at one point. He stayed in contact the whole time, though he go himself boxed briefly a couple of times. He looks fit, focused, and hungry. Seemed poised in post-race interview. The next test is to see how responds in a fast rabbited race.

3. WTF is up with Rowbury’s hot pink lipstick?

4. Seriously bummed when Ajee Wilson went down. Really like that girl.

5. Thrilled that Bernard Jacobs (or is Regina Lagat?) wasn’t there.

6. Ben Blankenship seriously surprised me.

7. Riley looked great.

8. Would’ve loved to see Lomong run better and wish he’d been in the 2M instead.

9. Derrick got dropped like a bad habit but this was almost certainly just a tuneup for him before World Cross.

10. German was clearly there to rabbit for his teammates. Sad when an 8:37 2M is his best race recently, though I wonder how he could’ve done if he didn’t rabbit.

Re: Andrews
I really liked how he went straight to the front and controlled the entire field. Just complete confidence in his ability. Really hope that continues to outdoors. Interesting that he has indicated he will focus on the 1500.

Re: Rowbury lipstick
She said she wears it to honor her grandmother who recently died who always wore really bright lipstick.

Re: Hasay

Could not disagree more. Ryan Hall has been unable to compete for multiple years now, due to an endless string of injuries. Jordan Hasay is consistently on the podium at major US championships. Big difference.

You’re right about her inability to close. But as recently as 2010, Galen was getting left behind in the final laps of big races. Go back and re-watch the 2010 Payton Jordan 10k. Solinsky ran the last 800m about 10 seconds faster than Rupp. A year later, Galen starts to piece together a kick and eventually takes home a medal from London.

He was 26 when he learned to kick. Mo Farah was about 27.

Jordan is 23. If only she can find out who’s coaching Galen and Mo, and start working with him…

Robby Andrews is also just 23. I wouldn’t say he’s “back” per se, because I view his 2013 and 2014 as him learning how to be a pro, adjusting to a new yearly rhythm, and figuring out what works and what doesn’t.

Robby was a kid during that 2011 season at UVA. Albeit, a kid who was running super fast times and beating some tremendous runners, but a kid all the same.

There’s a reason Meb Keflizighi and the San Antonio Spurs were big winners in 2014: experience counts for something. Michael Jordan didn’t win an NBA title until he had been in the league for SEVEN YEARS.

I’ve got news for folks: Ajee’ Wilson is going to have some bad races as a pro. A great career, I hope, but undoubtedly some poor performances along the way. Same with Alexis Efraimson and Mary Cain and Edward Cheserek and Andrew Wiggins and almost literally every other athlete on earth. Making adjustments to the professional ranks is hard.

You’re right that Jordan’s future is in the marathon, however. She herself has said as much. But the transition to that kind of training doesn’t happen overnight. It doesn’t even happen over-year, to make up a word. From what I’ve seen, a lot of pros use the World Champs following the Olympics as a continuation of what they did in the Olympic year, and then use the down year to re-assess. I think Jordan will be 100% a track athlete through the end of 2017.

If I’m Alberto, I want the 2020 Marathon Trials to be her 3rd or 4th marathon, so that she has some experience going in. That probably means a debut at the full distance in Fall 2018 or Spring 2019.

Not sure if you watched Ajee’s race but it was not a bad race in the traditional sense. She fell, hit her face on the track as her arm got stuck underneath her so she couldn’t really break her fall, bent the rail, got stepped on, and then still got up and finished.

Gutsy thing to do when she was out of it but acted very professionally.

Here is the race: http://www.usatf.tv/gprofile.php?mgroup_id=45365&mgroup_event_id=25&year=2015&do=videos&video_id=136040

Sorry, I should have been more clear - I know that she fell. I wasn’t saying she had a bad race this weekend.

I just mentioned Ajee’ as part of my larger point about being patient with young athletes. Ajee’ has all the momentum in the world right now, and each race (minus the ones that she gets tripped in) seems to go better than the last. But there will come a time (a la Mary Cain, Jordan Hasay) where that momentum slows and she runs into some obstacles. That won’t mean that she’s a bust or that she needs to freak out and switch events.

that old tune had terrible taste.

I loved my grandpa but he wore some hideous collared shirts, you dont see me wearing those around

why do you hate your grandpa?

To each is own AJ