THIS, is a state meet...?

http://rise.espn.go.com/track-and-xc/south…State-Meet.aspx

Alabama state meet. First of all why is there state meet April 30/May 1? Here in Ohio, and I think many other states, the state meets are not until a week after June.

Second of all, scroll down to 4a highlights(friday.) Now go down to the six “statement” type thing and read it, better Yet Ill post it here.

UMS-Wright’s Kelley Cutrell wins a unique 400/1600 double in 49.44 and 4:39.76

Not to take anything away from this guy, he is much better than I am but look at that 1600 time. No that is not a typo I even checked his milesplit and he has been consistently in the 4:40s. HOW DOES 4:39 WIN STATE?!!! I mean going back to my state(ohio) a 4:39 woudnt even get you close to placing in our conference meet.

Maybe theres something I dont understand here. I dunno

It’s Alabama, it’s all about sprinting down there.

Also, it was only the section 4a championship, not the whole state, there’s probably people in other sections that are better than him, the 4a section must just be weak in the 1600.

Originally posted by Michael Johnson@May 1 2010, 08:57 PM
[b] It’s Alabama, it’s all about sprinting down there.

Also, it was only the section 4a championship, not the whole state, there’s probably people in other sections that are better than him, the 4a section must just be weak in the 1600. [/b]

So when they say 4a, 4a is just part of the state not like a division of the state? Because I have division 1,2, and 3 so maybe when they go all they way up to 5a or whatever it is thats what its like?

Originally posted by rcs1113+May 2 2010, 09:37 AMQUOTE (rcs1113 @ May 2 2010, 09:37 AM) <!–QuoteBegin-Michael Johnson@May 1 2010, 08:57 PM
[b] It’s Alabama, it’s all about sprinting down there.

Also, it was only the section 4a championship, not the whole state, there’s probably people in other sections that are better than him, the 4a section must just be weak in the 1600. [/b]

So when they say 4a, 4a is just part of the state not like a division of the state? Because I have division 1,2, and 3 so maybe when they go all they way up to 5a or whatever it is thats what its like? [/b][/quote]
Where I am we have divisions 1, 2, 3, and 4. I’m just assuming that “4a” is equivalent to one of our divisions. So it’d be like the guy won the division 4 race, he didn’t win the entire state of Alabama.

You don’t get out much, do you? Different states have different levels of performances based on population, weather, etc. Some states are strong in everything because they’re really the size of a country (Cali, Texas, etc.) Some states are hugely sprint oriented, some, like Maine, suck at sprints but are stronger in the distance events. Some states are so small, they just suck in general. Like Vermont :wink:

For example: In indoor this year in Maine, we saw times of 1:54/9:18/4:14 for the 800/2mile/mile, but had no one in class A break 6.7 in the 55, 23 in the 200, or 51 in the 400.