STEM Majors


For about 2 years, I get about 3-4 voicemails / Linkedin messages a week from recruiters that saw my resume and want to contact me regarding a job opportunity.

95% of the time, it’s some role that requires technical skills (Business Analyst, Database Administrator, QA Analyst, etc) and pays over $32 / hr.

I’ve wondered, with unemployment over 9%, why can’t they fill these roles?

It appears as if too many students are majoring in non-productive liberal arts degrees such as english and history. Not enough qualified candidates to fill these roles.

With such a glut of students in these majors, how can we get students interested in STEM (science, technology, engineering, medicine) fields again?




As someone who got both of his degrees in the Liberal Arts, I think I’ll take the bait.

I think some people differ on what their “American Dream” is. For most, it is financial. But for some of us, we seek to do something that we love and that matters. Would becoming a biologist or a chemist make me more money? Sure. But that’s not my American Dream. I want a job that I love, not one that makes me rich and miserable.

For some, the American Dream is financial, and for others, its about the life we get to live. I’d rather make less money and do something I truly enjoy than something I hate that makes a lot of money.

I think more people think like me than most people give credit to.

In the Liberal Arts field, we know that jobs are scarce. We know we won’t be filthy rich. Yet we continue to study what we enjoy.

What’s wrong with that?


He was asking how to get more people interested in science you dumbass. No need to take it so fucking personal.


Nothing except when you make those choices for those reasons and then later complain that you aren’t making a comfortable living.


I have no problem with people “studying what they love because they don’t care about the money.” However, it’s many of these same people that then come out of college later complaining about how they deserve a job, aren’t making enough money, etc.


You’re oversimplifying what these protests are about. Admittedly, there are some people out there who are doing exactly what you said. I don’t have all that much sympathy for them.


Oh, hey.


Clearly this person did not study one of the STEM majors.


There’s a difference in complaining directly about not making enough money and complaining about the growing income inequality.


We have more exercise science/sports medicine/physical therapy (all that sh!t) majors graduate every year than we do engineers.


Well your school loooooooooves giving good atletes academic scholarships :wink:


Like you mentioned, there’s a HUGE difference between filling the roles and filling the roles with qualified candidates.

When you’re getting called by recruiters, it’s because someone is paying a fee (and typically a high one) for their services. These companies aren’t looking to fill their open positions with just anyone and you must have a pretty good looking resumes to get hit up that often (though 32/hr isn’t really that much, but that also depends on your academic background and work experience too).

So while unemployment is around 9% for the rest of America, it’s not even close to that in the tech industry (it’s somewhere like 1-2% in the Bay Area, for example). I don’t know too much outside of technology (computer science and computer engineering) but recruiters aren’t paid to find active candidates – companies/internal recruiters can do that themselves.

So you are right that there aren’t enough qualified candidates to fill the roles and because the unemployment rate IS so high and so many people want these jobs, the companies can afford to be more picky knowing that there may be someone out there if they’re simply desperate to hit their numbers. The difference between the top 10% engineers and the other 90% is gigantic – the start-up companies that end up being successful are often the ones that invest in only top-tier engineers (those from top 10/15 schools). That’s what the recruiters are looking for.

In conclusion, you should be pumped that recruiters are calling you – it means you’re doing something right :slight_smile:


Not following


Didn’t take it personally, however he seemed to be saying that LA degrees are worthless i.e. “non-productive”, and worth is user-defined.


I’m happy with my choices and where I’m at, so that ain’t me.


Your school has a TON of athletes. Those majors you listed are full of athletes at most schools. Isn’t it something like 20% of all students there play at least 1 sport?


I sure didn’t become a math major in order to get a job.



Mi padre went to a like #900 school and is somewhere in that top 10%.

'Merican dream


I sure didn’t become a native american studies major to get a job.