Starting a Business

We’ve got some smart cookies here in the LL, right? At least, I remember we did back in the old one… :stuck_out_tongue:

I am interested in starting a business. So let’s talk about it. This is all just in the developmental stages right now, but it’s gotta start somewhere, right?

Anyways, I’m looking at starting a Meteorology Consulting Firm. It would probably have multiple facets…I’m thinking a media forecasting group (forecasting/presenting the weather for TV stations, web sites, newspapers…) and a StormReady group (helping communities reach StormReady certification). On the side, will be a storm chase tour group.

Begin discussion.

First you need a fancypants lawyer. Licenses,fees,insurance,interstate commerce issues plus all the yada yada of normal business. A good account is a must. My guy was good-ask him how much is 34 and 56 he would answer-‘you`re the boss how much do you want it to be’- very good indeed.
Have you identified and quantified a potential client base for weather consulting? Are other companies in this market?
How much insurance would be needed to run a highrisk adventure tour like that?

-SWOT Analysis is a basic step that needs to be made. What are your potential:

Strengths
Weaknesses
Opportunities
Threats

-Setting up a business plan, with REALISTIC numbers is necessary. 98% of people are optimists with this. By being a bit pessimistic you can figure out if you would have the pockets/stones to handle bad business numbers.

-Other considerations:

What can you bring to the table that established companies can not? If the answer is “not much”, then don’t start a business until you can.

-Is this the time to start a somewhat obscure business. Everyone eats pizza, not everyone wants to go on a storm chase (But I would!!! I’ve done serious climbing unroped and chased hurricanes to surf, so don’t take me as normal).

My corporations professor in law said something that I have found to be absolutely true. His quote is found in Small Business FAQ on my website, and I have found it to be absolutely true:

Small Business FAQ

Also, there is a local community college here that has what is call the Small Business Development Center. They have workshops for sole purpose of helping people set up small businesses. It is an invaluable resource that I send all of my prospective small business clients to. Here’s their link; I’m sure the program is not unique and I can give you no better advice than to find something like this and use it. They walk you through writing a business plan and the whole nine yards:

JOCO Small Business Development Center

Zat you did not list your LL membership on your bio. :o

WiT - as always makes me laugh and smile. thank you!!!

in addition, i find this helpful because i aspire to own my own business(es) eventually. keep up the good conversation.

best of luck with your plan, filipe.

Business Plan

A bank loan-officer friend tells (and tells and tells and …) a story of an immigrant who came in looking for a business loan. He spoke little English and she no Chinese. She tried to get him to understand he must present a business plan. The next day he returned handed her a plate of food from the bag he carried and a slip of paper that someone had written for him, it said —he plan to make food.

Originally posted by homeless@Apr 20 2010, 08:39 PM
-Is this the time to start a somewhat obscure business. Everyone eats pizza, not everyone wants to go on a storm chase (But I would!!! I’ve done serious climbing unroped and chased hurricanes to surf, so don’t take me as normal).

This is less than 1/4 of the storm chasers that were under just one storm today.

There are a lot of people who want to go storm chasing, and a lot of people who pay thousands (3000 dollars per person for a 7-10 day tour on average) with existing storm chase tour companies.

It may seem obscure, but it’s not. Also, it’s not the main portion of the business, so I’m not hedging all of my money on that one venture.

Something along these lines, Filipe? Extreme TornadoTours

Exactly like that, Zat.

There are a lot of those tour groups out there. It would only be a small portion of the business, the main portion being consulting.

OMG…I’m annoyed enough with traffic when it’s nice out. If I had that many cars in the way when I’m trying to outrun a tornado, I’d start knocking cars out of the way. Jesus. That’s more crazy than the weather.

That’s what we call Chaser Convergence. There were about 100 cars out there.

Anyways, there are lots of tour groups and they always fill up.

I guess that what would be surfers do in the middle of the country. :slight_smile:

Gotta put crazy to some use! So do you guys get “chaser rage” when it gets like that?

Some people do get ‘chaser rage’…I’m not one of them. It does get frustrating though that there are a lot of people out there who are in it for the thrills, and don’t know a rear flank downdraft from a fart…who just look to see what the Storm Prediction Center highlights as the main area of severe weather, hop in their car, and look at the radar.

Yeah…that’s gotta make it dangerous. Greenhorns make stuff crazy.

When I was a real serious technical rock climber we dealt with the rookie types that would come around and do dumb s***…they somehow heard of the world class crags like the Shawangunks of New York, or Seneca Rocks or New River Gorge in West Virginia that I frequented with a crew…they would show up and it wasn’t just their lack of knowledge, but risky behaviour…weekend yahoos just looking to get loud. To make themselves comfortable, in crags spanning miles and with thousands of potential routes to choose from, they would of course saddle up on something right next to you that was an easy route. While you’re trying to pull an expert level climb, or something rated R or X, they are there on an easy G rated climb yelling and screaming.

It was a few times that it got so bad that we would walk over and greet them:

“Shut the f*** up or leave”

…“we have a right to be here, you can’t tell us what to do”…

“Shut the f*** up or leave. By the time they find your bodies, we’ll all be asleep in our beds, many hundreds of miles away. Not kidding.”

One guy in the crew usually had an ice axe in his hands at this point, looking like Joe Carter about to face Mitch Williams. They always left. The crew I hung with was pretty scary. A Czech dude amongst us that I would give good odds against Kimbo slice. Another friend in the crew who was always disappointed when a weekend didn’t involve a fight. About ten in the crew like this, so it was pretty easy to get morons to leave. B) It’s a pretty strange crew if I was one of the mellowest in the group!

What is a Kimbo slice ?

double cheese?

Originally posted by wineturtle@May 3 2010, 12:04 PM
[b] What is a Kimbo slice ?

double cheese? [/b]

MMA fighter. Very, very scary.

Kimbo

Originally posted by homeless+May 3 2010, 12:28 PMQUOTE (homeless @ May 3 2010, 12:28 PM) <!–QuoteBegin-wineturtle@May 3 2010, 12:04 PM
[b] What is a Kimbo slice ?

double cheese? [/b]

MMA fighter. Very, very scary.

Kimbo [/b][/quote]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvZ0Qlf35xo