Sj

The initials used to connote the “Society of Jesus”, or the Jesuits.

Today they’re Steve Jobs’ initials, and maybe in this increasingly technological age, they might mean the “Society of Jobs”. But I think it’s still an occasion for scruples, examination.

Let’s take his own words, from the Stanford Commencement address in 2005:

“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking.”

Profoundly spiritual remarks, yet also highly ironic.

By surrounding ourselves in Apple products, aren’t we collectively living his dream?

Not being trapped by dogma I interpret to mean being technically agnostic, and scrupulously aware of the false allure of technology. It dehumanizes and dissociates – not totally of course, but think of a world of folks online who are not relating, putting up a false personas, trolling, gaming, flaming, and not being in their bodies.

What kind of world is that? I don’t know. Nobody knows. We still have bodies and therefore emotions and a need to connect physically and to be real with each other.

It’s important to not be part of the grid, the collective mind, all the time. Yet that’s what his products and vision entice us to do. This isn’t blame; of course not.

IMO, it’s important to watch how much time we are online, gadgetized, instantly gratified. It’s important to realize how much of life can be wasted this way, just like hours in front of the television can do.

If I were ever a tech mogul like Jobs (yeah, right), I’d want a jesuit and a roshi at hand to keep grounded. And his own quotation above, staring back at me on my desk. :cool:

jaygray I agree.
I had more computer generated(from databases) birthday wishes than I had human wishes this year. My core group of friends have gotten away from making a bigdeal on our B-days, the sending of holiday cards stopped years ago too. So it does not take many computers to outnumber the still living friends who send birthday greetings but this indicates my ‘connected’ time and number of ‘registered places’ have increased in the past year-a warning that should not be taken lightly by a self-labeled Neo-Luddite.

While I do have a cell phone I rarely use it. I take it with me for MY convience not other people’s. Call me on the phone I have plugged into the wall and leave a message. If I’m out I’m doing something that does not require a phone or a conversation with anyone but the folks I’m with.
I have a laptop that has never been allowed out of the house-because it can come with me is not a good enough reason for it to be with me.
I’m off to take a nap-- call me or e-mail me if you wish… I still have the choice of answering or not !! Thanks to technology the best thing is I know exactly who I’m avoiding:cool: .

jaygray and I try to have a couple of live conversations a week but neither of us feel we must stop our lives because the other calls.
I’m working on a project or simpily I’m busy now is a fine comment to make when a friend calls, true friends don’t get their nose disjointed because of it.
Unlike the current “connected generation” I’ve spent 90% of my life not plugged in 24/7/365 and find no need to always be on call. I view new technology on the basis of what it does to help me not on how it helps others ‘reach out and touch someone’.
Bell Telephones “Reach out and…” campaign started in 1981. They are no longer a major player in the phone industry and that telephonic touch has become an electronic tether stronger than any set of manacles for many “Followers of SJ”… they just don’t know it yet.

[Reposted from Playground]

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/14/tech/i…bit-bell-labs/

To me Dennis Ritchie was far more important, day-to-day and year-to-year than Jobs. C is still my favorite language. Jobs may have been a visionary “magician”, a master salesman, but Ritchie was one of those indispensible plumbers without whom Jobs would not have flourished…not as much.

I still have what’s known as the white book [Kernighan and Ritchie’s ‘The C Language’] on my shelf somewhere after all these years.

I am not pooh-poohing how important Jobs was. I am just not that much of a consumer. The truth is both kinds of genius are needed: the vision/design/delightful-ease-of-use packaging, and the implementation of the substrate/language that I’ll call plumbing. In that regard Ritchie is like Bob Metcalfe, the inventor of the ethernet.

Not as many public encomiums will pour out in Ritchie’s direciton, but damn, he’s important.

I assume we have a large number of folk who were pivotal in the advance of the electronic age but go unheralded.

So I ask my fellow LLers— please nominate your choice for ‘most underalded’ .

AlGore of course:rolleyes:

Gary Kildall is the Pete Best of computing.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_43/b3905109_mz063.htm

J.C.R. Licklider?

This guy appears to be the smartest guy alive:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Fan-in-Vegas-bet-Cardinals-to-win-World-Series-a;_ylt=At1kL8DLRAl13wS9N.2T_8E5nYcB?urn=mlb-wp24823

One sign of trouble is pulling out your phone in the midst of an in-person conversation

Don’t sleep with your smart phone nearby

By Bob Greene, CNN Contributor
updated 9:28 AM EST, Sun October 30, 2011
B[/B] – “I won’t even sleep in the same room with them.”
A fellow named Daniel Sieberg was telling me his hard-and-fast rule for getting through the night.
He takes all of his digital devices – laptops, tablets, cellphones, anything portable that has a screen – to another room before he turns off the light. He has come to terms with the fact that the technological gadgets that have so thoroughly insinuated themselves into our lives can become addictive.
So, when it’s time for slumber, he locks them out. He won’t even let his cellphone charge overnight in the bedroom:
“If it’s there, I would have the temptation to turn it on and check it.”
We have learned to celebrate, even revere, the wireless gadgets we carry around and the inventors who bring them to us; the response to the death of Steve Jobs this month was emblematic of how important our do-it-all phones, our computers, our tablets and related digital devices have become. We say that the technology has changed life as we used to know it.
But how much is too much?
more