Sammy Wanjiru RIP

lol wat?

there is a time and place to be a dumb, idiotic troll, you went 0/2 in that regard with that post.

Very stunning news. WoW!

RIP.

What a disappointment for someone with such talent to die so young.

fixed

Reportedly caught in bed with another woman by his wife. My guess is either jumped from the balcony trying to flee her attacked or her attacking him caused the fall.

JW

I believe the AP story quotes a police official saying that his wife locked them in the room and left the house; if true, the latter explanation seems unlikely.

I literally can’t believe this. Why did he continue to make stupid decisions after all the hullaballoo with his wife earlier this year?

Either way, he seemed like a great guy and was obviously a great runner. Damn, so sad.

I never met him obviously, but I think this “great guy” thing and glorification of this guy may be a bit much.

he threatened to kill his wife, she lets him off the hook, and then he continues an affair in their home? Quote by me “Apparently”

Not so sure he goes in that “great guy” category

Great runner yes.

Not to detract from the tragedy of his death, but interesting quote:

Olympic 5,000 and 10,000-meter champion Kenenisa Bekele said he looked up to Wanjiru as a great athlete.

“I was looking forward to meet him in the future at the marathon distance and to race against him,” the Ethiopian said.

That would have been quite something to see.

None of us ever met him, so judgement of his personal character isn’t really appropriate. All I can judge him on is what an amazing runner he was, and I saw enough of that to know that the world of marathoning lost its best yesterday, and it’s terrible we’ll never get to see him race again. Toni Reavis had it right when he talked about the footballs.

Not really true, you would not have to have met someone to have a pretty good assessment of his character, ie. kind of safe to say he was not a family man?

I doubt you ever met Bin Laden, extreme examp,e but you get the drift.

This is the second unacceptable situation reported in less than 7 months.

Threatening to kill your wife and then pulling an adultrous act right on top of that, which has now been reported multiple sources ?

I am sure many will take this out of context, it is sad that he died , but I really think it’s too much here to make him this great guy heroic figure. Sorry, just my own opinion.

Isn’t it obvious?

Human behavior is not governed by logic alone; if it were, we would all be like Spock. If human behavior were governed by logic alone, all that would be necessary would be to explain to the alcoholic why drinking so much was bad for them, they would understand and stop immediately.

That’s not how we are.

Human behavior is a wonderful amalgam of thoughts, logic, emotions, genes, faith, experiences, education, family upbringing, feelings, needs, brain chemicals, lifestyle choices, and countless other factors. Any time you hear someone say something like “I don’t believe someone would act that way because there was too much at stake and they had too much to lose to do something so stupid”, “I don’t believe they’d be that stupid because they had to know they’d be caught”, or “it would make no sense at all for them to do that”, that person is most likely completely missing the point. Those observations only apply to the logic portion of human behavior and fail to account for the vast myriad of other factors which cause us to act the way we do.

Comedian Jim Carrey grew up extremely poor, and was even homeless for a while as a child, a time during which his family lived in the car. After making tens of millions of dollars, he once said in an interview, “My wish is that everyone in the world could receive all of the money and material success and fame that they ever wanted so that they could finally understand that it means nothing.”

Like all of you, I am deeply saddened by this news. My hope is that such incidents serve as a reminder to all of us that worldly, and especially athletic, success is completely irrelevant when it comes to satisfying our souls.

RIP, Sammy.

this is sadly a very accurate post.

Didn’t someone say that Sammy was set up or something? I think I remember reading or hearing that it is very like that the police and his wife planted or framed him to get after his money; that this was type of ordeals happened in Kenya. Could be wrong (probably am)

That being said, it is unfortunate someone with his talent had to go this way.

I would echo zat0pek’s comments. I think what is hard to put into context for any of us is your perception of the world if you grew up in one of the poorest countries in the world, were then wisked off to Japan at a young age and put into a (from my understanding) very regimented life of schooling and training to be a great running. Then bursting onto the international scene as the greatest half marathon runner ever, and then to be living on your own back in Kenya with more money that you could have ever imagined.
I saw in a few articles that Sammy said he had the AK-47 because his compound had been attacked repeatedly, because of his incredible wealth.
I am sure that this life would drastically change how you percieve the world. Look at so many American athletes who make similar bad choices.
Regardless of the circumstances of his death, it is truly an awful loss in the world of athletics.

I would echo zat0pek’s comments. I think what is hard to put into context for any of us is your perception of the world if you grew up in one of the poorest countries in the world, were then wisked off to Japan at a young age and put into a (from my understanding) very regimented life of schooling and training to be a great running. Then bursting onto the international scene as the greatest half marathon runner ever, and then to be living on your own back in Kenya with more money that you could have ever imagined.
I saw in a few articles that Sammy said he had the AK-47 because his compound had been attacked repeatedly, because of his incredible wealth.
I am sure that this life would drastically change how you percieve the world. Look at so many American athletes who make similar bad choices.
Regardless of the circumstances of his death, it is truly an awful loss in the world of athletics.

All belligerent comments will be removed.

I know the running community is just as sad about this as his friends are.
Death is an eternal rest, or perhaps a whole new adventure - either way, you will be missed Sammy.

What?

showed my coworker (no running affiliation or knowledge whatsoever) the ESPN article and his reaction was rather interesting: “Sounds like it was his fault and i have no sympathy for the guy, after all he was cheating on his wife right?”.