Sammy Wanjiru RIP

Weldon Johnson, co-founder of Letsrun, is reporting that Sammy Wanjiru has passed away.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4045952

oh my god. that’s awful…

wow… that’s terrible… i hope that this is just misreporting but i doubt it is

:frowning: I hope this is not true, if it is this is terrible

What a bummer.

FloTrack (and possibly other sources) says suicide.

Just terrible. He was inspirational.

RIP.

i feel like this autopsy is gonna reveal some messed up ****

Wow. Only 24 years of age. The death of such a promising runner is such a tragedy and a shame. RIP.

Appropriate:

To An Athlete Dying Young by [URL=“http://www.tracktalk.net/”]A. E. Housman.

THE time you won your town the race
We chaired you through the market-place;
Man and boy stood cheering by,
And home we brought you shoulder-high.

To-day, the road all runners come,
Shoulder-high we bring you home,
And set you at your threshold down,
Townsman of a stiller town.

Smart lad, to slip betimes away
From fields where glory does not stay,
And early though the laurel grows
It withers quicker than the rose.

Eyes the shady night has shut
Cannot see the record cut,
And silence sounds no worse than cheers
After earth has stopped the ears:

Now you will not swell the rout
Of lads that wore their honours out,
Runners whom renown outran
And the name died before the man.

So set, before its echoes fade,
The fleet foot on the sill of shade,
And hold to the low lintel up
The still-defended challenge-cup.

And round that early-laurelled head
Will flock to gaze the strengthless dead,
And find unwithered on its curls
The garland briefer than a girl’s.[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

This is awful.

Definitely sad to hear. Was not expecting to see that when I signed online.

Also very disappointing from a fan perspective. He could have dropped some even bigger times.

i am curious what that autopsy will show, sammy has been in some trouble recently and (as bad as it sounds), i hope there is something chemical involved. Suicide is never a good thing, but someone making a perfectly lucid decision to take their own life is even worse in my view.

I saw a comparison to Pre, both talents who ran with guts and heart, and now both died tragically young. It will be interesting to see what details more we hear about possible substance involved.

Foul play seems like a possibility after that ak47 incident a couple months ago. Do we even know for sure that there will be an autopsy, and if there is will it be a cover up?

No results in the title please.

Jumped off a balcony:

http://www.universalsports.com/news-blogs/article/newsid=533569.html

Olympic Marathon champion Samuel Wanjiru of Kenya has died, apparently from a fall from a balcony at his home. The news was reported to Race Results Weekly in a telephone call by Shadrack Biwott, the former University of Oregon Duck who had spoken to his brother, marathoner Duncan Kibet, in Kenya.

“He jumped out of a balcony and they tried to revive him, but he didn’t make it,” said Biwott.

Federico Rosa, Wanjiru’s manager, confirmed his client’s death via a text message. No other details about his death are available at this time.

Wanjiru won the Olympic marathon title in Beijing in 2008 with an Olympic record performance of 2:06:32. His other marathon victories included Chicago in 2009 and 2010, Fukuoka in 2007, and London in 2009. Wanjiru was the World Marathon Majors points champion for the 2008/2009 and 2009/2010 seasons, and had a career best time of 2:05:10. He was also the former world record holder for the half-marathon with a 58:33 personal best.

After winning last October’s Bank of America Chicago Marathon in a thrilling sprint finish over Ethiopian Tesgaye Kebede, Wanjiru faced several difficulties.

Last December, he was arrested at his home in Nyahururu and charged with threatening his wife, striking a security guard, and possessing an illegal AK-47 rifle. Wanjiru was released on bail, and his wife later withdrew her charges against him, but he still faced the weapons charge, however.

In January, Wanjiru was also involved in a car accident on the Nairobi-Nyahururu road, rolling his four wheel drive vehicle several times trying to avoid an oncoming truck. He avoided serious injury in the incident, but later withdrew from April’s Virgin London Marathon with a knee problem.

American marathoner Ryan Hall reacted to the news of Wanjiru’s death on Twitter, posting, “Incredibly sad news about Sammy. I am shocked and saddened.”

Universal Sports contributed to this report

© 2011 Race Results Weekly, all rights reserved, used with permission

This is awful. :frowning:

People who kill themselves aren’t lucid, they’re depressed. It’s a chemical imbalance every bit as serious as something brought on by taking drugs.

Go back to the playground.

Thanks for giving me the attention I wanted!

You too Maverick!

Get the hell out of here. You’ve got to be kidding me. Not appropriate.