Penn Relays DMR Preview

From Jack Pfeiffer:

Last year’s winning team was Villanova, which ran 9:37.93, the slowest winning time in nearly 40 years (9:43.6 ’73). The Wildcats return Brian Tetreault, senior from Cinnaminson, N.J.; Carlton Bowers, junior from Springfield, N.J. (The Pingry School), and Samuel Ellison, sophomore from Dresher, Pa. (Upper Dublin) from that team but must replace anchorman Matthew Gibney, who pulled off come-from-behind wins in 2009 and last year. His replacement is expected to be Sam McEntee, sophomore from Perth, Australia, who has a 3:43 1,500 to his credit.

Villanova has won the DMR at the Relays 24 times, the most victories by a school in a single event.

There are plenty of challengers, including Indiana, which won this spring’s Florida Relays; Texas A&M, winner at the Texas Relays in 9:35; Virginia, Oklahoma, Penn State, Princeton, Duke and Oregon.

Princeton expects to field a lineup of van Ackeren, quartermiler Tom Hopkins (The Haverford School) , halfmiler Michael Williams (Bellevue, Wash.) and Stilin.

Oregon, which won this event two years ago, plans a lineup of two sub-1:50 halfmilers, Elijah Greer and Boru Guyota; a freshman from Georgetown Prep in Washington, Russell Hornsby, and Dunbar.

Plenty of schools have big anchors, including Silas Kirosio, 3:55 miler at Oklahoma Christian; Erik van Ingen, 3:56 miler at Binghamton; Henry Lelei for Texas A&M, the freshman Robby Creese (3:58) for Penn State, and Dan Lowry, recent 13:34 for 5k, for Brown. Brown is the lone Ivy League school that has never won a race at Penn.
Penn State last won this event in 1959, LaSalle in ’56. Duke, which hasn’t won a men’s race at the Relays in 40 years, plans to use the NCAA decathlon champion, Curtis Beach, on the 800 leg. Beach recently ran a 1:47.

I posted the credit for this, if I have to pull it down due to copyright stuff, let me know?

princeton not using callahan at all? Interesting

They’re probably going to focus on defending their 4xmile trophy, DMR would be secondary.

Clearly Callahan is injured anyone can figure that out

Yeah, IDIOTS!

I did not say that, sorry

But Callahan has not run at all since Indoors

They would be a clear contender in DMR if Callahan was healthy

I mean the “Princeton is NOT USING Callahan at all?” Is a little weaker than my response:D

Not using him? Why wouldn;t they? If he was right.

Oregon looking to field this:

“Although the lineups are still tentative, the men should be competitive in the DMR with Elijah Greer, Mike Berry, Boru Guyota and Trevor Dunbar”

Oregon is very strong up front, and Dunbar is a very good runner

I would never bet on a potential DMR winner, that does not have at least on paper a stud anchor. That being someone who can run at least 3:57 with a potential huge negative split with blazing last 200M for the 1600M leg.

These races seem to back up in the middle a lot lately and turn into wild sprints for home, which I have to say are more entertaining than really low times run blow outs.

A and M adds very well

Columbia has some resources as well for this one, a bunch of 3:42(Merber to 3:45 guys, plus sub 1:50’s and 1:50.xx guys

You figure that they are right there at 1200, 800 and 16 leg

400 legs do not usually lose this one, but 48 up against 45.x does create some room

Indiana seems to be loading the wagons and would look like the possible chalk?

No BYU this year

Oklahoma also has some real solid guys

dont forget binghamton. newly minted sub 1:50 and 3:47 guy jesse garn (yes, THAT jesse garn :rolleyes: ) some solid low 1:50s 800 kids and maybe the biggest competitor in all the ncaa, the flyin vikin erik van ingen

If they have a 400 leg, you could run Garn on Lead off, hopefully a 47.x 400, a 1:50 flat will rarely kill you and Van Ingen can run 3:56 1600 I would guess

garn is leading, i believe they have a kid who’s run 47 in the open, chris fernandez on the 8 (about 1:50) and yeah van ingen. i have some bias knowing a good deal of the guys pretty well but watch out for them. that’s a scary group

edit: cazal arnett, 46.xx in the open

Williams is a good fill. Sophomore 1:49/3:44, not that far off Callahan’s abilities.

I would say Binghampton is capable, but hardly “scary”, everyone has that up front or multiple seconds better

For some reason Van Ingen’s best marks are all from indoors, any insights on that, he has no Outdoor Marks listed at all on Iaaf web site

i think that’s mostly a function of poor luck injury wise, and binghamton being a smaller school with not as much resources to send him out west. whereas he can get real competitive meets on the east coast indoors. and yeah scary probably too agressive a word, but they’ll be under the radar. my darkhorse pick for sure

i forgot that king was omniscient and knows all. Forgive me o dear leader.

This is true, but Dunbar doesn’t fit that bill as he’s a bit of a grinder.

sorry about that unspecial person:D

I found the phrase “not using Callahan” a bit unusual, like why would they not use their best MD guy? That’s all.

This is true, but Dunbar doesn’t fit that bill as he’s a bit of a grinder.

Like I said on the Dunbar selection as an anchor, or folks mis construing what a big anchor guy looks like at these things. A guy who can run 4:00 or just under is never getting it done at this event, without a huge lead.

could be as frick suggested, running him on the 4xmile and not burning him too much this weekend. You could be right as well, but i dont think it is exceedingly obvious that you are.

There’s king, and then there’s the guy who thought Cardinal regularly goes sub-13:00.
Don’t let yourself be frozen with indecision here.