Old School Photo Dump

Great pic @zeeeblob! I had never seen that one before. Robert Mason took 2nd at state in both 1945 (to Don Gehrman), and in 1946. Stearns won that title as a junior, but did not run at state as a senior due to “illness.” He did win the state mile run in 1948. Stearns was a cross country All-American at Marquette in 1950.

Also, pretty sure that was Les Larson who won the Suburban Conference “B” meet in 1939. He would have been a freshman that year, and I believe that SM did not let freshmen run varsity at that point in time.

These were all great photos - thanks for sharing! I guess we will need to look through Mathew Brady’s archives to find photos of WiT……!

Frank Waller of Menomine was state champion in the 100 and 220 in 1903. He competed for the University of Wisconsin and a year later he won two silver medals at the 1904 Olympic Games, in the 400 and the 400 hurdles. He was Big Ten champion in the 440 in 1905, and US champion in the 440 in both 1905 and 1906. He made his living as a musician and composer.

Frank Waller Wikipedia Entry

Ralph Spetz of Milwaukee North, state champion in the 440 in 1917, state champion in the 100, 220, and broad jump in 1918. He led Milwaukee North to the team state title in 1918. Spetz competed for the University of Wisconsin. In 1922 he was Big 10 champion in the 440, and All-American in the 220 (3rd place).

Below is the link to a bio put out by UW where these pictures came from:
Ralph Spetz Biography

Frank Glaser of Milwaukee West was state champion in the pole vault in 1923 and 1924, and state champion in the broad jump in 1924. He competed at Marquette University where he was a three time All-American in the pole vault.

Frank Glaser Marquette Hall of Fame Bio

Henry “Hank” Gillo of Milwaukee South was a four time state champion in the throwing events (discus 1912 and 1914, shot put 1914, and hammer throw 1915). He played college football at Colgate, and had a 7 season NFL career, where he was the league’s leading scorer in 1922, 1st team All-Pro in 1923, and for a time held the NFL record for longest field goal.

Hank Gillo Wikipedia Entry

One more picture I found. Hank Gillo is seated third from left in the second row labeled as #11. Standing at far left on the top row, labeled as #26 is William Horlick of Racine, listed as a “sponsor” of the team.

Fred Kummer handed out the All Conference Team medals back in 2000 at the SEC Meet at Grant Park.

Love those numbers. Talk about titty ripplers.

Is that pole bamboo or steel. It is bending rather weirdly according to the photo. The looks like Camp Randall Stadium for sure.

Wow quite a finish. Did anyone notice the two guys on each side of the finish line holding up footballs high in the air? Strange award for a CC state meet.

@westharrier. I can’t say what the poles were made out of at that time, but the caption under that photo said something like “Glaser breaks his pole.” I also found an article from one of the state meets in the 1920s, which when talking about the pole vault, claimed that the meet was a success because “only two poles were broken and no one was injured.” Not sure what was going on in the pole vault back then, but even now it seems you have to be a bit brave/crazy to be good at it!

Greg Kabat of Bay View was Class A state champion in the discus in 1927 and 1928, shot put in 1928, and the broad jump in 1930. He attended the University of Wisconsin where he was a five-time letter winner (football 1930, 1931, 1932, track 1931, 1932). He was Big 10 champion in the discus in 1931 and All-American (4th place) that same year. He played professional football in Canada, and won the Grey Cup twice. Kabat is in the Wisconsin Badger and CFL Halls of Fame.

Greg Kabat CFL Hall of Fame

Greg Kabat Badger Hall of Fame

At an indoor meet my freshman year I saw Carter Brown (Oconomowoc) break a pole while pole vaulting. His momentum carried him to the mat and he wasn’t hurt. I suspect it didn’t affect his confidence much as he was very good and had great technique. It scared the crap out of me though and I remember thinking that guy was amazing!

I think that there is a book somewhere in this photo dump…or maybe a documentary :slight_smile: .

I’m glad to see Greg Kabat mentioned in this thread. He is one of the all-time great Wisconsin high school athletes.

Kabat

After WWII he taught and coached in the Los Angeles area for years, retiring from coaching after the 1965 season.

A documentary would be amazing but far beyond my abilities and resources. A book is far-fetched but somewhat more realistic. It’s something I have talked with other people about. It would be great to have a “legitimate” reason to look at old meet results and e-mail ADs!

Alvin Schilder was a five-time state champion (Class B 440, broad jump, and 880 relay in 1935, Class A 220 hurdles and broad jump in 1936). South Milwaukee won the Suburban Conference meet and Class B state title in 1935. The picture and text actually comes from the Whitefish Bay Track History website. I will provide a link to the article below:

WFB History: Suburban Triple Crown

Roman Bentz of Horicon was the Class C state champion in the shot put and discus. He helped Horicon to Class C team runner-up in 1936. He played football for Tulane, and then for several professional teams afterward.

image image

Ray Buivid of Port Washington was the Class B state champion in the shot put and discus in 1932. Port also won the Class B state title that year. Buivid went to Marquette University where he played FOOTBALL. In 1936 he took 3rd in the Heisman Trophy balloting, and he lead Marquette to the Cotton Bowl, where they were defeated by TCU, quarterbacked by “Slinging” Sammy Baugh. Buivid played two seasons in the NFL for the Chicago Bears. He was the first player in NFL history to throw for 5 TDs in a game.

Ray Buivid Wikipedia Entry
Ray Buivid Marquette Hall of Fame
Ray Buivid NFL career stats