Nick Symmonds the next Bachelor?

People may say that I do this stuff just for publicity. To those people I say, so what if I am? I have always been the kind of guy who needs distractions.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/05/11/2572127/the-next-bachelor-boises-symmonds.html#storylink=cpy

Lol, Saw this on LetsRun. I like that qoute also but what people don’t understand is that Nick is doing it for publicity but he is also bringing the general publics attention to our sport, Track and Field. He got a lot of flak over that Paris Hilton thing but it actually gained media interest for USA’s.

I’m not really a Nick Symmonds fan for other reasons, and I hate the bachelor, but this could be good for the sport.

Would Holden Caufield call him a ‘phony’?

Well I do believe Nick is a bit of a Narcissist which may be a “phony” qaulity. I don’t think he is a “phony”, he generally does what he says he is going to do, and what he believes in. He isn’t following a trend really, he is starting one. Which is brining publicity to the sport, and himself at the same time of course.
He is kinda known for these stunts it wasn’t just a one time get popular thing. Hansons-Dodge tattoo, Paris Hilton, and possibly the Bachelor.

Let’s get one thing straight; this would benefit Nick Symmonds and only Nick Symmonds. I’m not saying he’s intentionally being selfish or whatever, but this would in no way benefit the sport. If Symmonds were to go on The Bachelor, the public may be told he was a professional track athlete, but does that make them want to watch people run laps any more? More than likely, no.

Think of it this way. I am a runner, and my girlfriend knows of my races and stuff. She may come watch me run a 5km road race, but does that actually inspire some sort of new interest in running in her? It does not. I’d imagine the same thing would happen for Symmonds and all the viewers of The Bachelor, or whatever scheme he’s involved in next.

The Bachelor would have to market him, they generally don’t just pick some random guy to the show. They would do some background on him, and yea maybe it wouldn’t get a ton of people watching track, but it’s still Publicity.

He could pick up some fans on the show that tune in to see his progress on the track, I agree that this might be doubtful. Any publicity that reaches the general population from track and field is good publicity for the sport.

Also if you don’t think the Hansons-Dodge: Crazy track guy tattooing a sponsor… Or the Paris Hilton stunt didn’t gather media attention you are delusional. Social media was buzzing for days about Paris and Nick (I thought it was stupid but still bringing media attention to the sport). And like I said I’m not a Nick fan at all but I will still show some support for athletes trying to do something outside of the box that may have a positive impact on the sport.

Double-post but in regards to your second paragraph. I think Nick Symmonds has a little more pull than you do, no offence. Multiple time National team member, or more importantly to the general public, 2-Time Olympian. He has an outgoing personality and is pretty friendly. He’s also got kind of an interesting story if for some reason they chose to cover that. Basically he is marketable and he is a track athlete of course it will benefit him but there could be some trickle-down effect to the sport.

I think you underestimate the general public’s ability to enjoy a sport that consists of people running around an oval for an extended period of time. Even if it was marketed properly, I don’t people would give a sh*t.

I’m not saying they are going to tune in for life. I’m saying its bringing attention to the sport of track and field and potentially will pick up a select few fans.

They don’t have to be track die hards like you or I, atleast it could possibly educate some people about the sport. Maybe they are flipping the channels later and see a meet and watch a few mins of it, or support local events. Maybe they don’t. Either way it is good for the sport. Just look at the original thread on letsrun, alot of people feel the same way.

Also if you have such a dim look on the sport why do you bother posting on a track forum.

Good lord, another one of these types. It’s not looking down on my sport. It’s a realistic view of the world. You and many others (an increasingly prevelant number on this board) want the world to see running become some sort of grand spectator sport where people fill up huge football sized stadiums for a track meet. But I know that won’t ever happen. Spectator sports are about money. Maybe not for all of the athletes, but for the meet directors, agents, sponsors, and most of the people who make the meet possible, it’s definitely about money. Watching people run around a track just isn’t very marketable to the general public, and I know this. I love this sport, but I’m also not going to delude myself into thinking that having Nick Symmonds on The Bachelor will somehow make the sport relevant to the American public.

Youre right that football sized stadiums will probably never happen, and thats okay…That isn’t what I’m saying, it is good for the sport because it is some sort of media attention. Not that is going to convert millions of people to be hooked on track and field.

Honestly Track has the same crusty old fans with a hopeless approach to expanding the sport. Sure it may not be very marketable on its own but there are certain individuals that are marketable, Nick for example. Why would the company reach out to him if he wasn’t marketable. Usain Bolt could be very marketable to the general public and create some buzz for the sport.

You can keep living in the past and think the sport is fine on its own, but it is dying. Track needs media attention, it needs things like Flotrack. It needs prize money like Drake Relays this year, that gets people interested. It certainly needs people like Nick that is doing things for himself, as he should be, but it is also giving back to the sport even if it is only a shred of recognition it is better than none.

I was at a track meet in Toronto last summer and tons of people that didn’t know anything about track bought a ticket just because Asafa Powell, marketed as a former World Record holder was going to be sitting in the stands.

Not getting involved with anything, and not trying to generate interest isn’t going to help either. Better to try something even if in Symmonds case he is doing it for himself and the sport.

And no, I don’t want it to be some grand spectator sport. I want it to be relevant though. If sports like Golf, Nascar, Horse-racing, F1, Cricket, and curling can become popular so can Track.

A few things I’d like to comment on…

I think Symmonds would be hilarious on the Bachelor. “So tell me about yourself!” “Well I hold the Beer-Mile World Record, for starters…”

I love Symmonds’ tenacity - he just keeps finding ways to get into the public’s eye. From the Hilton ordeal, the Twitter Tattoo, the Beer Miles, and now the Bachelor? I think it’s pretty entertaining, at least.

I also have to agree with Maul - I think this brings some attention to Track and Field. Maybe the show airs clips of Symmonds winning at USA’s and viewers think that’s interesting? Maybe those viewers decide they want to see more? But really, on the flipside, what’s the worst that happens? Track doesn’t gain any new viewers and nothing changes. Not better, not worse. The same.

I agree on the Drake Relays prize money argument but I disagree with everything almost everything else you said. The second that Flotrack becomes the ‘norm’, accepted, or encouraged method of enjoying track and field is the second that I withdraw from the sport.

If I had my way, I would change more than just the way track is marketed. I would change the overall issues with society that cause track and field to be uninteresting to the public. The public don’t find it interesting because, outside of the sprints, enjoying track and field is often an affair that requires patience and a basic understanding of something unfamiliar. One of the many reasons football is popular is because it’s played in explosive five second intervals in which the objective is simple. Society, especially Americans, demand immediate gratification and having to wait three and a half (let alone thirteen or twenty seven) minutes to see the outcome of a race is too much to ask of the borderline Neanderthal that is the average American. Then throw in having to understand a simple twist like a rabbit, or the concept of a midrace surge, or using a race as training, or anything simple like that you’ll be able to see smoke emerging from an overworked American brain.

Just organize it like the WWE with some good storylines, a few chairs, and a midget. Make fighting acceptable like it is in hockey and the people will come.

That’s not real 'wrasslin

True, but to ensure the longevity of the athletes careers and their well being, the mid-race wrestling will have to be faked to some degree.

Ball sports are infinitely more complicated in this regard than running. Don’t get me wrong, most of what you said is right, but don’t sell the American man short on his desire to understand intricacies of strategy in sports. I’d go as far as to say that one of the reasons that endurance sports are not popular in the mainstream is that there is just less to talk about at the water cooler.