National Record

Looks like Avione Allgood of Las Vegas, NV broke the national record in the javelin today while competing in the USATF (Senior) Outdoor Track & Field Championships. She reached 176’ 8" on her third throw and the old record was 176’ 5" by Rachel Yurkovich in 2005. Rachel took second in the competition with a best throw of 180’ 2".

Avione also broke the national junior class record in the javelin of 174’ 6" set by Kendra Wecker in 2000.

Great job Avione!

If true, that’s insane! Props. What’s the standard? Is she going to Deagu?

Not trying to be a dick; just curious: how many states compete in the javelin? I’ve certainly never seen it at a high school meet near where I live.

I want to say it’s <10. Allgood looked like she was in HS next to all the other throwers, but I just assumed she was short. It was a hell of a toss, into a pretty stiff headwind too.

I think the announcer said around 7 or so (most were midwest states, I think). If I remember correctly he mentioned this somewhere inbetween talking about what movies he hated this year and what European hair styles are becoming popular in the U.S.

We do it in Maine to make up for the fact we also have the racewalk.

Washington has it, I didn’t know that so few states did.

Who was the announcer? S/he’s wrong. There are at least 16 and the greatest concentration is in the northeast believe it or not:

NJ
VT
RI
CT
PA
ME
MA
NH
KS
LA
AL
OR
UT
ND
WA
MT

<<Looks like Avione Allgood of Las Vegas, NV broke the national record in the javelin today while competing in the USATF (Senior) Outdoor Track & Field Championships>>
interestingly enough though is the fact that in the Jr meet Allgood, after setting the National HS Record during the Senior meet, LOST to Hannah Carson, the kid from Chandler HS, AZ.