Miss America Pageant

Indian-American Nina Davuluri’s win at the 2014 Miss America Pageant triggered a racial backlash on social media. #MissAmerica

There’s way too many people like this in the world who have a very narrow minded way of looking at things.:frowning:

indians are cool and all, but wouldn’t hit

didn’t see any sort of issue when i watched this, but her dance was kinda funny

I understand she is native to central NY’s Mohawk Valley.
The last Miss Syracuse to be named Miss America, Vanessa Williams '83, was stripped of her title for err…um…err stripping in a penthouse;)

You’re nuts if you’re a single guy and wouldn’t hit.

I imagine the pootang looks like roast beef and smells like curry

It’s all just a mental hurdle

There is no hurdle. You’re just mental.

i was directing it at indians in general

if preconcieved notions were to be challenged, she’d certainly be in contention

I feel you on this. There’s an exception to every rule though

I still cant fathom why this is even an issue. She’s from here, yes? Or at least naturalized? Is the issue because shes not a blonde or brunette barbie doll?

I dont see color, so this just perplexes me.

[sniffs own fart]

Based on a quick skim of the official pictures on the website:

OK=FL>SC=AZ>>Everyone else.

The mental hurdle might just be coming to grips with the fact that you aren’t into women as much you thought

Wait, there are “men” who watched this?

a bunch of us had money on it

It’s clear that being attractive has its many benefits- according to the Social Issues Research Centre, in youth it’s proven that attractive children are more popular with classmates as well as their teachers. Good-looking applicants have a better chance at getting jobs and excelling in those work places. It’s even true that in court, attractive people tend to be found guilty less often- and when they are found guilty they tend to receive shorter sentences. Sure, it’s great to be beautiful, but what is our definition of “beautiful”? The 19th Century’s definition of being beautiful meant wearing a corset – causing breathing and digestive problems. Now, thanks to the media, we have a very specific sense of what is “beautiful”- an image that might be even more dangerous to our health than previously. It’s an image that is attainable by less than 5% of the female population.
We are made to believe that this specific definition of beauty is easily attainable or a physical norm. It’s more than just being skinny- with more cosmetics and media, girls are encouraged to change the color of their eyes, hair, and even skin with pigment lighteners. We see beautiful men and women every second of the day- on TV sitcoms and news, billboards on the way to school or work. Actually, the average US resident is exposed to more than 5,000 advertising messages a day according to a study done by Elzinga & Gordon. We see beautiful people in the pages of our textbooks and magazines. Touched up, they make it seem like their flawless beauty is effortless and easily attainable. Men and women alike are constantly scrutinized, feeling uncomfortable with their bodies starting as early as the age of 2, when they are first able to recognize their reflections…