List of All-Time Individual Event Champions

The WIAA has recently put up lists of all event champions going back to the beginning. And by recently, I mean REAL recently.

This is outstanding, though the timing is a little bittersweet for me, because I spent a butt-load of time during the winter putting together my own lists just for the Boys Class A/Division 1 distance events. But, as we all know, #1 on any coach’s cliche-list is something like “The fun isn’t in the result; it’s in the journey”.

I’ve found some first names from the earlier years that they don’t have and vice versa. Otherwise, the lists at first blush look very complete.

http://www.wiaawi.org/Portals/0/PDF/Results/Track/State_Records/bindividualchampionsevent.htm

http://www.wiaawi.org/Portals/0/PDF/Results/Track/State_Records/gindividualchampsevent.htm

I noticed this in the past two weeks as well. I think they mistyped Codie See’s winning time. There was another one too.

You’d think the WIAA would have a vested interest in digitizing all state results. Top-6, top-10, all qualifiers etc.

It’d also be interesting to get a list of schools for each year, their enrollment (division) and their conference affiliations. Enrollment data alone could be fed into contemporary research on Wisconsin population changes and in-state migration trends. But the conference shifting and realignments would be interesting to observe over time.

2005-3 1600 Run Malachi Cate Iola-Scandinavia 1:19.45

Great composite list! Any other noticeable mistakes?

The following list represents schools who’ve had more than 25 individual state champions:

1. 99 Milwaukee South
  2. 96 Whitefish Bay
  3. 92 Milwaukee West
  4. 90 Milwaukee East
  5. 65 Milwaukee Washington
  6. 56 Kohler
  7. 54 Madison West
  8. 53 Port Washington
  9. 42 Milwaukee North
  10. 41 North Fond du Lac
  11. 39 Madison
  12. 38 Platteville