Lessons in life or for life

A LetsRun thread about books that have touched your life provoked this post

The Feminine Mystique, published about the time my sexual life was shifting from back seat fumbling and stolen moments when parents were out to a more mature movie dinner and a sleepover in my own bed, helped change the social landscape of the time and my life in extension.
Heinlein’s Stranger in a Strange Land touched me in many ways. The concept “Waiting Is” brought clarity to the idea that reactions and actions evolve from different places in the mind and must serve different purposes.
A Jubal Harshaw quote touched and shaped the way I viewed things throughout my life.
“Anybody can look at a pretty girl and see a pretty girl. An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl that she used to be. But a great artist-a master-and that is what Auguste Rodin was-can look at an old woman, protray her exactly as she is…and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be…and more than that, he can make anyone with the sensitivity of an armadillo, or even you, see that this lovely young girl is still alive, not old and ugly at all, but simply prisoned inside her ruined body. He can make you feel the quiet, endless tragedy that there was never a girl born who ever grew older than eighteen in her heart…no matter what the merciless hours have done to her. Look at her, wineturtle. Growing old doesn’t matter to you and me; we were never meant to be admired-but it does to them.”

Two other thoughts from Heinlein’s writings :
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea
and
Never try to out stubborn a cat

In juxtaposition they have taught an invaluable lesson. I grok the idea that the process is a learn, f-up, relearn one and fortunately the lovely creatures that are not cats have an uncanny ability to forgive the forgivable f-ups.

Let us broaden the scope to things learned, no matter wherefrom, that have become lessons in or for life.

Grandma wineturtle once said “Don’t sleep with anyone who is crazier than you are”
alas

a lesson never learned by this child…

That was a good story!:slight_smile: Now tell me that story about NYJets Richard Todd & the nurse.:wink:

my one size-fits-most relationship answer:
after a good session of ‘having fun’ get up play this song and dance with her nude in the dark…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85iBOYRt03s
“Well Sing In The Sunshine”

(Gale Garnett)

We’ll sing in the sunshine
We’ll laugh every da-a-y
Then I’ll be on my way

I will never love you
The cost of love’s too dear
But though I’ll never love you
I’ll stay with you one year

And we can sing in the sunshine
We’ll laugh every da-a-y
Then I’ll be on my way

I’ll sing to you each mornin’
I’ll kiss you every night
But darlin’, don’t cling to me
I’ll soon be out of sight

But we can sing in the sunshine
We’ll laugh every da-a-y
Then I’ll be on my way

My daddy he once told me
“Hey, don’t you love you any man”
“Just take what they may give you”
“And give but what you can”

“And you can sing in the sunshine”
“You’ll laugh every da-a-y”
“You’ll sing in the sunshine”
“Then be on your way”

And when our year has ended
And I have gone away
You’ll often speak about me
And this is what you’ll say

"We sang in the sunshine
“You know, we laughed every da-a-y”
“We sang in the sunshine”
“Then she went away”

I always added: the one year promise can be extended for another year by mutual consent.

One of my partners and I struggled with the fourth renewal.
Oh we both knew we could sign it and be happy with the decision, but should we.
She nailed it as she signed.
In most species we have been together long enough to raise an offspring and see it move on.
It is time for us to move on too but I’m selfish and afraid so let’s take one more year and convince each other we CAN.

• repchat is an unique craftmark feature of tt.net and intended for use by members only.