Josh Mance Facing Charges

Two FSU track athletes (Mance and Stephen Newbold) are facing charges for discharging a firearm, resisting arrest, and possessing fake ID’s.

Looks like Mance won’t be competing for the Seminoles this season…

Gosh Darnit. What the heck causes someone who has (had?) the potential future this kid has (had?) to be as lame as this. He ran in an Olympic Final for goodness sake last summer! Is Xavier Carter living in Florida coaching this kid???

I know we are all young once and all do crazy things, myself included, but I never did anything that involved a gun or being disrespectful to the police (not out of any respect but just because it’s dumb).

I just saw his former teammate Nellum is still at USC (I thought he was out of seasons but I guess not) so this makes his path to the NCAA championship a lot simpler I guess …

Darnit, darnit, darnit.

Gosh Darnit. What the heck causes someone who has (had?) the potential future this kid has (had?) to be as lame as this. He ran in an Olympic Final for goodness sake last summer! Is Xavier Carter living in Florida coaching this kid???

I know we are all young once and all do crazy things, myself included, but I never did anything that involved a gun or being disrespectful to the police (not out of any respect but just because it’s dumb).

I just saw his former teammate Nellum is still at USC (I thought he was out of seasons but I guess not) so this makes his path to the NCAA championship a lot simpler I guess …

Darnit, darnit, darnit.

Darnit, darnit, darnit.

Props for hitting Submit three times haha. And I wouldn’t be surprised if Nellum gets another season or some sort retroactive medical redshirt because of the gunshot incident.

Yes, Nellum did get a 6th year for the whole gunshot incident.

Does that make him a red-pants Senior? :stuck_out_tongue:

I believe inmates at the county level are indeed wearing orange :wink:

I was upset :smiley:

Probably over reacted …

… and my internet wasn’t working properly. Not sure why my post appeared 3 times but I stand by it and I stand by my comment of over reaction!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/chopping-block/os-cb-florida-state-fsu-josh-mance-olympian-20130409,0,6824199.post

TALLAHASSEE – Florida State sprinter and Olympian Josh Mance was cleared Tuesday of all charges pertaining to a gunplay incident last month that allegedly involved he and another FSU athlete.

The state attorney’s office submitted to Mance’s attorneys Tuesday a notice of no information, officially dropping the charges of misdemeanor resisting arrest without violence and felony possession of a fake identification. After having been suspended since the incident, per FSU’s rules regarding athletes, Mance should be able to return to the track team immediately.

… Mance leads the collegiate 400 runners currently with a 45.43 run that occurred while unattached.

2005 … Nellum finishes 2nd to David Gettis over 400m at CA state. 3rd at WY. Best of 46.81.

2006 … Nellum wins the 200 and 400 at state. Bests of 46.20 and 20.94.

2007 … Nellum again wins the 200 and 400 at state setting a 200m CA state record. His career 6 gold medals is the highest ever in California (2 4x4 titles) as is his individual 4 golds. His 20.43 PR remains his best ever. His 45.38 remains his personal best until 2012.

2008 … Nellum’s first college season ends in his first race (a leg on their 4x1 relay)

2009 … Nellum is shot in the leg and is told he’ll never reach the same level again (who shot him still remains unsolved I believe)

2009 … Mance finishes 2nd at the CA state meet over 400m losing to Reggie Wyatt who also set a 300m High School record in the same meet. Mance also wins silver at World Youth losing to Kirani James.

2010 … Nellum’s comeback begins and he manages to run 45.94, finish 3rd at the Pac-10 and is named an All American due to his leg on USCs 5th place NCAA finish in the 4x4.

2010 … Mance wins CA state over 400m. He is part of the gold winning 4x4 at World Juniors. 5th individually. Best time of 45.90.

2011 … Nellum’s season is cut short again as he pulls up with groin pain at the NCAAs in his 400 prelim. He has surgery to remove the final bullet fragments. His best of the year is 45.56.

2011 … Mance finishes 4th Pac-10, 6th in the NCAA. Best of 45.29, a USC frosh record. He also wins Pan Am Juniors.

2012 … Nellum’s year starts excellently with a 45.18 personal best. He wins the Pac-10 title over Berry in Oregon but then does not advance at the NCAAs. He is passed by McQuay on the NCAA 4x4 anchor leg but USC still finishes second. He then runs his first sub 45 time to grab the last Olympic Spot from Mance. He finishes as the fastest non-qualifier in the 400 missing the final by .03. He does grab silver in the 4x4 with a fine lead off leg and carries the US flag in the Olympic Closing Ceremony.

2012 … 5th at NCAA meet, 4th at Olympic Trials and improves to 44.83. Runs a fine 43.8 leg in the 4x4 final at the OG. Struggled a bit with injuries.

2013 … Mance transfers to FSU, gets arrested is cleared and still fits time run a 45.43 which maybe will now be a collegiate leader when (if) he gets re-instated to the FSU team.

2013 … Nellum runs 45.54.

Is this a breakdown of two athletes or a soap opera. Two very impressive resumes though.

(and this doesn’t even document Joey Hughes or Reggie Wyatt who were at USC at the same time!!!)

Because Mance ran the time while he was unattached, I don’t think it’ll count as a collegiate leader, even if he’s back on the team for the season. And it’s astounding that USC got 4 consecutive CA state 400m champions and managed to do essentially nothing with it in terms of a 4x400m until last year.

Nellum has obviously had injury issues
Hughes came into his own during Nellum’s down time then had his own injury issues when Nellum got healthy
Wyatt is … well, Wyatt
Mance has had issues too health wise

It is indeed insane. To quote somebodies old sig “sprinting ain’t easy”

David Gettis was the state champ 3 times over prior to Wyatt, Nellum and Mance. He went to Baylor and never did anything track wise and he was a 3 time state champ with a senior year best of 45.84. Got drafted by the Panthers in 2010 and had a very good year. Got injured in '11. Not sure what happened last year.

Wasn’t Baylor good in the 400?? How the mighty have fallen.

Fair enough. I guess it’s just my anti-USC bias rearing its head.

Gosh I hope Mance gets reinstated …

45.08 at Oxy, still unnattached.

I don’t think we’ll see him run for FSU as the declared results for athletes under a team has to be submitted already. He ran in everything unattached.

Oh yeah, Nellum 44.76/20.23 double to claim both titles at the Pac12 Champs!

I guess Mance has gone pro now.

From the Adidas Grand Prix New York.