3200 - 9:02.8
3600 - 10:10.7
4000 - 11:00.16
4400 - 12:31
4800 - 13:40.6
5000 - 14:13.4

Fixed

On a positive note… Video of the race is now posted at NJRunners.com

Videos of other events will be posted throughout the day.

Thanks to Mike Frye for the video coverage

It was positive coverage, the splits were just off, that’s all.

I posted this on the wrong thread …

Pat -

Here are the splits I stole from you guys in the pressbox…

68.0 (4:29)
68.2 (9:02.8)
69.6 (13:40.6)

Fastest time run this year in an all HS race I believe.

Excellent effort…14:13 is almost a whole straightaway of Hallinan and his former mark. Looks like it was largely solo, and gives clear evidence that Rosa is ready to roll in a big way over 2-miles. Can’t fake fitness in the last mile of a 5k…this is one of the reasons the Hallinan mark lasted as long as it did (in addition to guys like MoK not running one, Forys not running one in June, etc.).

Boys 3200 at MoC will be a mighty battle.

I blame the faulty splits entirely on The Brothers Styler…all of them. Perhaps more David than anybody. Unless, of course, Joe was instructed to throw down a 49.46 quarter after 4k, which certainly could cause one to backup a bit and run 3:13 for the last 1000m.

Grote

M bill is in the mail. Checks accepted.

And yes, on the fastest high school only 5000 this year.

Error on the running time at 4000 meters was mine; I had the right split on the watch and just wrote the wrong time. Lot of riff-raff and reprobates
in teh press box causing distractions.:smiley:

Grote, solo from about 1.25 miles out. Owens tried but he just didn’t have it last night. Looked a bit tired.

He was giving off smoke after this effort… :eek:

Wow, that’s an outstanding effort!

QFE.

I was there and it was very impressive to say the least. While Owens was close by early on, it was not his day and it was a great frontrunning solo effort by Joe. Joe can clearly go under 14:00 with some help, and could run close to 13:45 if a race sets up right IMO. He was locked in and just clicking them off until roughly about 3 laps to go when the pace started to take its toll. Tremendous effort.

Kevin, I agree with tons of what you say most of the time.

But 13:45?

I would not bet he can break 14:00, 14:13 and 14 flat are really quite a bit different, as I know you know.

As a matter of recent perspective?

Cabral and Amirault both ran that(13:45 and 46) at Mt Sac and both are 4 flat milers and Cabral a 8:30s steepler.

Cabral ran 8:02 3 months ago, Amirault 8:09 same period. and that is/was months ago and they only managed 13:45 and 46 in optimum conditions .

Kinger!!! Its too easy to flush you out of the weeds!!!:slight_smile: Hope you are well, and that all the snow has finally melted wherever you are these days.

I stand by my comment that he could break 14:00 right now, and I said he “could run close to” 13:45 if everything breaks the right way. Your 8:02/8:08 3k references only reinforce my point, as Joe ran 8:08pt ENROUTE to his WINNING 8:44 LAST YEAR in the oppressive heat of North Carolina, and a year older from 17 to 18 is a HUGE difference. Put Joe in a 5k at Stanford with people leading him through and he runs ALOT faster.

If anyone saw Joe run this weekend they would think he could break 14 now - he made it look very easy. Then again I also thought the Riff brothers could muster a C average in my class this year ( I was horribly overconfident)

I guess KB, but I do not agree.

Those guys I used as examples were sub 8:50 two mile fit 3 months ago and ran 13:45/46 with two added months of fitness

Joe has not run anything near 8:50 for two miles in a while

Going by in 9:05 yards is different by a lot than going by in 8:50’s and running in, in even faster pace last 1600M+

He very well may, but I know you don;t give away marks and I am the grinch of predictions in some cases.

I hope he does, I really do, as he works very hard and has had some set backs

By the way, who knows where Jim is? I thought there would be much more on that by now?

I guess KB, but I do not agree.

Those guys I used as examples were sub 8:50 two mile fit 3 months ago and ran 13:45/46 with two added months of fitness

Joe has not run anything near 8:50 for two miles in a while

Going by in 9:05 yards is different by a lot than going by in 8:50’s and running in, in even faster pace last 1600M+

He very well may, but I know you don;t give away marks and I am the grinch of predictions in some cases.

I hope he does, I really do, as he works very hard and has had some set backs

By the way, who knows where Jim is? I thought there would be much more on that by now?

Ok last round for me. He simply has to run 10-15 seconds faster there with a pacer and that gets him to sub 14:00 in the first week of May. Throw in at least six more weeks of training and the fact that Brian could not have possibly peaked him for that race, and you don’t think he could POSSIBLY run 25 seconds faster given the right conditions and help with pacing? Now if you are saying that logistically it can’t or won’t happen because he may not get the opportunity/ies I would have to agree there, but if he got set up somewhere like Rupp did in Belgium back in 04’…

If you really asking me? Again we are talking two different levels and one of them has only been touched by 3 guys?

I say no, not until I see him as a sub 8:45 two miler at least again, this is for the 13:45, that’s just my view. Right now, I guessing Joe is about 8:50’s low to mid for two miles fit? I am just guessing. he went by in 9:05.x or 9:06 for two miles and kept on running.

Ritzenhein, who only ever really ran as fast as Rosa at two miles, but did run quite a few 8:50 's and sub, ran 13:44,so I guess anything is possible, he also pounded out some really high quality solo efforts at 3200 and doubles as well.

I do agree he can most likely get to or sub 14:00

That next step into that 13:40’s area? I mean ,Rupp went by in 8:0x low in his 13:37 and he was a clearly handled like a Pro and did that in Europe

Seriously? Do I think Joe could do it? Yeah I guess, but for me, to even think he could run 13:45ish I would need to see him at least back where he was at two miles. I agree that I could easily see him right near 14 flat with only marginal fitness improvement if at all I guess.

If Joe can run that in your mind, what the heck can Cheserek run in your mind?

I guess I think it is a little harder than you do No big disagreement at all , to run 13:50 or better as a HS’er as that list is very very short.I think it is really challenging to run in the 13:40’s when you have not really been near 14 flat yet.

Just my opinion, what do I know?

i am always confusing the rosas and thought this was jim. i am amazed and extremely impressed that joe ran 14:13, largely solo, after missing all of cross due to surgery. i would say he has had, what, about 6 months of largely uninterrupted training now? no question these twins are talented but they, and cheserek have another intangible in their favor: balls. you can have all the speed and endurance in the world, but it doesn’t mean much if you’re afraid to use it. this kids are tough.

my mind is blown to think what these kids are doing in jersey not so long after me. elkaim wins moc in 8:46 last year and is now not even the best runner in his county? part of me wishes i was there to see it, and part of me is thrilled not to have been walloped on…