Historical Photo Challenge

Though I think this one is quite hard it may not be in the end. But because of my precautions on it never being guessed accurately I have included three photos to make it easier. The first image is of the two featured athletes in their season finale race while the next two are of each individual athlete building up during the season. Let’s see if we can name both runners and the race!

CHALLENGE #17:

Challenges still at-large:

The above challenges as well as this next challenge might stump even the best of the historians at TrackTalk.net but three of the four photos are key players prior to the Distance Boom (1967-1975).

CHALLENGE #18:

Wild guess on #18 - Roland Sulze (1947 400m state champ)

That is in fact a good guess but no that is not it. Challenges #17 and #18 are reasons why we go into a blur during this era.

Awesome work! Could the Janesville runner in #17 be John Hannewall? (brother?)

#17 is the 1946 Class A 880. Anakin has done some great research on Dean Corrado. This result is notable in that Walter Mehl’s 1:58.9 3-turn chute start in 1934 is ignored and they went back to 1927 for Johnny Bell’s 2:02.1.

1946%20Class%20A%20880

Great work guys! I dont stand much of a chance anymore stumping this group. What I think is amazing is how quickly we recognize Chuck LeRose. The reason is because anyone who became accustom to the all-time lists put out by wisconsintrackandfield.com in the early 2000s will know his name was left out. While he personally would have not forgotten nor would the people whom grew up in the era I do think he was cheated of the proper respect he deserves for a good 10-15 years and per my observations of the newspapers even longer as WISAA struggled for recognition overall. There are remnants here on TrackTalk of the re-discovery which for myself was super cool. LeRose is a true symbol for those St Cats boys as he was a very decorated state champion xc/2-mile runner. He also ran about 4:21y which I had always wondered what would have become of him had he done a bit more in the mile.

Also interesting is how much of an influence Bill Greiten had over Racine in the late 60s and 70s. Some may have noticed in the Joe Perez thread that these type of long standing coaches – including Randy Marks of Verona – essentially opened their coaching tenures with the respective schools themselves.

A very, very intriguing topic in my opinion is the sociocultural window into change that opens using an overview of distance running results 1900 to 2000 and even 2000 to the present. I’ve mentioned before in the defunct high school threads that basically after the first World War (1918) the private school education offerings far exceeded that of the public and maintained themselves at that unprecedented level until various stages of reform swept through. Finally in the 60s we start to see more and more public schools open up while many smaller private schools closed their doors.

When we look at the tenures of coaches like Greiten, Perez and Marks as well as the growth of places like Middleton (similar to Verona) we definitely open a window into an accurate timeline of the Public School Era or simply the public school offerings closing the gap on the private. Greiten, who took a teaching position at Case in 1967 when its doors opened and stepped down in the mid 90s, is an especially ripened candidate for this window into the Public School Era because he left St. Cats (a private school) and had many athletes showcasing the forefront of success in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. He started with success in the private schools and showed how to do it the other way through the public.

We can catch hints of this notion through the following article:

QUOTE:

Interesting questions to posit are where are we now? in terms of school systems followed by what is next? Moreover, what role do the athletic programs play in reinforcing the status of schools in this current era?

Distance running is unique because it can subconciously measure these changes and our fanhood already opens these windows into the bigger picture changes that took place. Remember Granville’s first sub-4:20 that we touched down on earlier in this thread? Same sociocultural theoretical implications apply there too.

Distance running was there then to catch all that after school human energy just as it is now.

Challenges still at large:

Greiten was great, I was fortunate to go to his camp for 4 years. Case was awesome. Loved the flourescent green t shirts. Him and Bowen from south division really dominated.

If greiten had an alumni 800 race next week who would win? Factors include best time but also body type and ability to age gracefully. He probably has some younger runners I guess given he coached into the mid 90s. Age is likely the biggest factor combined with body weight. Hopkins love and bell would be early favorites based on age. Sorry probably too offf topic wrong post but all these old school stuff got me sentimental!

I would probably go with Scott Hopkins on the condition his hockey haircut made an appearance.

The Kenosha tremper athlete looks from the 1970s but hard to tell from a picture. Could it be as recent as 2000 Gary Garcia as he is darker complexion

#17 is definitely Green Bay East so I am going to guess either Leroy Collins or Roger Holz, two guys that were running mid-distance during the late 1940s.

Also, I liked the article about Tom Scheller. I’m a sucker for the old WISAA schools, but Tom is a really nice guy who cares about the sport, and the kids involved. They did qualify for state in 2014, but that has been their only real bright spot since the merger. I do hope that he has one more run of good kids, he deserves it, but based on the numbers and demographics, it seems unlikely.

@Biff really deserves all the credit for researching Dean Corrado. I merely asked if the Dean Corrado who won state for Milwaukee Washington in 1943 was the same Dean Corrado who took 6th at state running for Janesville in 1945. He will go down in history as probably the first big name to transfer in this state. Also, that class with him, Don Gehrman, and Winifred Gross was probably one of the best to ever come out of the city of Milwaukee.

Challenges still at large:

This next image is in fair condition due to the scan so I will provide some hints.

CHALLENGE #19:

More Information:

To help here is a lightened close up of the lead pack and below that 4 of the top five jerseys in the race.

JERSEY
Fort Atkinson                                         
Racine Horlick
Hale
Nicolet

Last Hint: Race winner eventually transferred out of state.

my guess is 73 or 74.

CHALLENGE #19:

Here is the answer-

The race photo is of the 1967 Class A Mile lead pack. Racine Horlick junior Mike McClendon won the meet.

1967 WIAA CLASS A MILE RESULTS

The unknown fifth runner tucked behind the leaders doesn’t look like it is Dave Baron of Rhinelander nor does it look like cross country state champion Jerome Liebenberg of Milwaukee Marshall. It could very well be Paul Kendall of Madison La Follette who ran 4:24.7 in the Monona Grove Sectional behind Gary Dexheimer of Fort Atkinson. The other runners pictured are, of course, Senior Dave Wirth of West Allis Hale and Junior Tom Bach of Nicolet.

Here is what the challenge aimed to bring to light - Mike McClendon thread.

Answer:

Darrell Jacobs, Pius XI, 1963 en route to a 4:26.6 at the Catholic Conference meet held at Marquette Stadium. A week later he ran 4:24.5 (4:23.0y) in the same venue at the 1963 WCIAA State Meet. The WCIAA was a precursor to WISAA. Prior to Darrell Jacobs the WCIAA record was in the 4:40s.

Backstory: Greg Gard had broken the 4:20 barrier in a 1960 Sectional and several others among the public schools recorded low 4:20s in the early 1960s. Pius XI’s Darrell Jacobs '63 and Jim DeNomie '61 were largely responsible for closing the gap on the public school performers in breaking the 2:00 and 4:30 barriers respectively. In fact, Jim DeNomie ran 1:57.7 (1:57.0y) at a crucial time in late May 1961 to equal the public school state leader, Jim Wendt of Kenosha, who ran that time in a sectional which made things extremely interesting. Below is a photo of Jim DeNomie finishing an 880 during the 1961 Edgewood Invitational at the Camp Randall Memorial Building – The UW-Shell.

Though CHALLENGE #15 is still at large we must go on.

CHALLENGE #20:

CHALLENGE #21:

CHALLENGE #22: