Guns

Unfortunately, Blade Runner … Oscar Pistorius accidentally shot his girlfriend.

Oscar Pistorius ‘shoots girlfriend’ - local media

South African Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius is being questioned over the fatal shooting of his girlfriend at his home in Pretoria, local media say.
Police captain Sarah Mcira told local media that a woman - who died at the scene - was shot in the head and arm.
The precise circumstances surrounding the incident are unclear. Reports say he may have mistaken her for a burglar.
The 26-year-old was the first double amputee to run in the Olympics.
South Africa has among the highest rates of crime in the world and many residents keep weapons to protect themselves against intruders

She tried to break in at 4:00 AM in the the morning.

This is South Africa, you don’t intrude someone’s home in South Africa at 4:00 in the morning not expecting to get shot. He wasn’t going to sit around and try and figure out who it was before he blew he/she’s head off.

Seems like the police had been to his house to break up domestic disputes before. This is looking a lot like an OJ-type situation, particularly since they just charged Pistorius with murder.

Double post…

Based on the history of domestic abuse, I don’t think he’s got a leg to stand on.

“If the shoe don’t fit… you must acquit!!!”

OK, I’m done. Carry on.

He has no legs…but he certainly was “armed”…hi-yo

i would be very careful about using the word accidentally in this situation.

someone would have to be VERY paranoid for this to happen…

I don’t know, based on the stories of extreme crime in SA and the many articles last year covering how much money he was making. It wouldn’t be that great a leap for him to think he was being robbed.

Not saying that’s what happened, just saying.

Bastard

Bet she made his remaining leg functional

Not for long. :cool:

The story seems to be getting murkier. Less clear that it was a mistaken identity accident.

Even uglier now that it has come out that he was arrested in 2009 for assault charges as well. Those charges were dropped after some murkiness as well.

Looks like they’ll be more available lanes in the 400 invitationals this summer!

Good riddance. I’ve been public on these boards several times that I didn’t like him getting a lane over athletes with much better PRs simply because he was a spectacle. Not to take anything away from the challenges he overcame but as a former 400 guy I simply want to see the best man get the lane.

I’ve always felt that he should have been made to choose either paralympic competition, or open comp on his own merits. One or the other, but not both.

it was never clear that it was a mistaken identity accident, that was a media theory that started (likely) to create an excuse for pistorius. Cops giving briefings/updates on this from the beginning said they have no idea where that came from and there was no evidence for it.

add to that the fact that, while it was originally supposed that his GF came in the house at 3am or thereabouts, she actually got there at 8pm, there’s no way he didn’t know it was her. doors of innocence closing one by one on blade runner

I brought this case up in a casual conversation with a retired high ranking NYC PD officer. He said he read a press quote from the SA police dept about the arrest. He translated it into NY cop talk for me.
" We got da mook who dun dis"
He also noted:

In the [South African Constitution, section 35(3)I[/I] of the [URL=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_of_Rights_of_South_Africa”]Bill of Rights](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_the_Republic_of_South_Africa) states: “Every accused person has a right to a fair trial, which includes the right to be presumed innocent, to remain silent, and not to testify during the proceedings.”

I’ll assume he’ll remain in custody, since an ankle bracelet isn’t really an option…

Oh, well - a silver lining, then.