Freshman watch

Jack Scherer prs at 9:40 no state meet but nice season

Bloomquist runs 9:41 but makes it to state so has a chance to run something the next level at state. I think sub 9:35 is recognizable on the national level Moreso sub 9:30 as a freshman

Brookfield east runs 8:02 3200 meter relay with 2 freshman running and a sophmore

Riley siltman Evansville 9:50 3200 meters, has a freshman teammate run 2:05

Derek Hanson Gillette 4:34 and Jarett carpenter from cashton 4:36 both make state in small schools evan finger from dodgeland also makes small school state with a 2:01 and has a chance to be the only freshman to break the 2 minute barrier this year in the open 800

Riley siltman improves to 9:41.1 at state, jaret Carpenter runs 2:02 at state from cashton. No one breaks 2 this year

Charlie Wesley from arrowhead ran 4:39.3 at that ripon meet last week, also kaedon turnbull from ashwaubenon ran a decent 53.8 400 meters and of course is being coached by the fastest coach in Wisconsin David Coates. Overall quiet on the freshman front way too early

Kayci Martensen, running for D3 Benton-Scales Mound-Shullsburg competed at the Pioneer meet at UW-Platteville. She won the 800 in a pedestrian 2:29 and anchored the 3rd place 4x800 team in 11:02. I wonder what the other splits were. I don’t know what kind of team BSMS has this year. There were no team scores in the results.
Pioneer Invite Results

Anna Gallagher of Two Rivers won the 3200 at the UW-Oshkosh small school meet in 11:19.45.
UW-Oshkosh Small Schools

I misspelled Mukwonago on a personal print order that I did last year - couldn’t believe it! I use the items in CA - nobody knows the error.

The case invitational had some decent freshman performances today. Freshman Noah bliss from Kenosha Bradford (10:14) ran a nice duel against freshman from Indian trail Keegan maier 10:16. Probably last time I mention a 3200 over 10 flat. In addition a nice time of 2:08.9 for freshman nathional osborne from Brookfield academy. I assume this is a class c school? And running 2:09 this early as a freshman gives him a shot of running at least sub 2:02 and making class c state meet. Last years freshman highlight from Racine case (Mickey Cabaltara) who should have broken 2 flat last year as a freshman based on earlier meets but didn’t get a chance to run the 800 at conference or regionals won the race (easily) in 2:03.1 and could be a 1:55/1:56 sophomore this year. Mickey did run a leg in case 4x800 and 4x400 last year I believe he ran at state in the longer relay as a freshman

Brookfield Academy is D2 for track. Tough middle distsance sectional with Shorewood, Wisconsin Lutheran, Port Washington, Grafton.

Where does Patrick willis 9:47 indoors rank for freshman all time indoors for Wisconsin?

Any news on when/where Genevieve Nashold will be racing? Haven’t seen anything yet, but I may have just missed it…

I haven’t seen her. Madison west seemed to have very few athletes who ran even the Madison west relays. Not exactly sure why. Overall despite an amazing indoor season from some of the top boys distance runners, many solid athletes have run 1 or no races so far this year and we are aleady in April, I think outdoors starts next week as I recall racing next week outdoors. It’s possible I just can’t find the results without deep digging as they are small meets etc. Back in the day the indoor season was truly a season and for the most part it’s been de emphasized by many programs which may be due to injuries or science etc not sure. I guess those athletes who haven’t opened still have 2 months which is plenty of time to get in shape for state but 6 weeks is not that long to peak for conference in mid May especially if a few meets/practices are cancelled in April due to Wisconsin weather and for most athletes conference should be the peak unless they have a very good shot at making state. Probably the wrong post but not sure why Wisconsin indoor doesn’t start earlier so kids can train like the rest of the nation a bit earlier with their coach which is probably more relevant in the shorter distances and field events than the 2 mile. Obviously it will conflict with basketball for some but not that many. With all these national and regional meets that kids can run indoors if they travel that didn’t exist back in the day overall I think the status quo is fine as athletes can choose on their own how serious they want their track and indoor track season specifically to be at least on the individual events. Ok back to making this a highlight for great freshman performances. As an aside kettle moraine had a boy open up a few weeks back in 2:06s so that is a potential sub 2 flat freshman in the making. Will give him more attention vs being at the back of an irrelevant post if he shows another solid effort.

Kaedon turnbell ran 52.89 last week. The best 400 meter freshman working with one of the top 400 meter coaches in the state David Coates (a 47.8 400 meter runner in 1989) could mean some excitement is in store for us by his sophmore year. Let’s see if he can get under 50 flat by sectionals. Ashwaubenon has won state a few times in the 4x400 over the recent years. They aren’t loaded enough to do that but have 2 800 guys who have run 2:01 indoors so maybe turnbell will experiment in the 800

Definitely up there. Perkins ran 9:23-24 at Nelson Daniels but wasnt a “true” freshman.

Charlie Wesley beat Wills in the 1600 at Classic Eight Indoor.
2019-04-08_092200

Wills then chopped microseconds off his previous best in the 3200:

2019-04-08_092453

Separately oconomowoc has 4 fine distance runners in those 2 races. Not sure what track that was.

Too good to be true: in a very small meet (mount horeb quad) outdoors freshman braedon alexander from dodgeville wins by 3 seconds running 2:03 really out of nowhere. I’m skeptical it’s a real time etc but if he can do this in an early small meet and if he stays healthy no reason he can’t run 1:58 by state. Will see if we get confirmation that that time is real in another race. Mt. Horeb Quad - Complete Results

James Jacobs one of the fine spash freshman from cross has run 2:06 a few times already and seems poised to join the long list of amazing middle distance runners from spash many showing up as freshman. Expect a 2:03 effort next race the sun is shining. Given spash has such a good team he may have a hard time running the right varsity races in the open to give himself the chance to run very fast this year. Maybe at conference he can run low 2s and he is a candidate to make their 4x800 even as a freshman that could be in the state mix depending on who runs