Diet and Nutrition

Hey everyone, I figured coming on here and asking my question may give me some more solid answers and personal experiences on what has worked.
I am a college runner who is about 6 pounds over ideal race shape, I am just doing summer training and that does not seem to affect my weight loss. Does anyone have nutrition advice or healthy ways to go about accomplishing this? Any input helps. Thank you.

Disclosure: I am in no way a doctor and am probably not qualified to provide any advice on this.

That being said, I would just focus on generally eating healthy (well-balanced diet) and continuing to train hard all summer. If your weight drops, great, if it doesn’t, that’s fine too. If you really want to hit a particular racing weight, the time for that would be when you are actually racing, not 3-4 months out.

Disclosure: I am in no way a doctor and am probably not qualified to provide any advice on this.

That being said, I would just focus on generally eating healthy (well-balanced diet) and continuing to train hard all summer. If your weight drops, great, if it doesn’t, that’s fine too. If you really want to hit a particular racing weight, the time for that would be when you are actually racing, not 3-4 months out.

NO FOOD 3 HOURS BEFORE BED! Unless you are going to eat protein right before you sleep.
Drink plenty of water. It will help you feel less hungry throughout the day.
Also keep a lot of fruits around, so you end up snacking on those rather than crap.
Lastly, believe it or not, using too much climate control can actually make you gain weight, because your body is not working to maintain a normal temperature (Although this is more effective in the winter than the summer).

As stated above no eating 3 hours before bed time.Avoid junk food eat a healthy well balanced diet. Get plenty of rest. Adding some weight training also may help.Good luck and have a great xc season!

I found something that really, REALLY helped when I was in your same position was to not make a concerned effort to cut out this or that type of food or eat any less than I had been, or anything like that, but rather, to write down in very specific detail everything I ate throughout the day.

Going back and reading my daily entry made me realize just how much sugar I was taking in, and as a result, I just naturally cut out a lot of sugar, and therefore a lot of calories. Also, the minor inconvenience of having to log every bite I ate stopped me from the mindless handful of this or that, which I was prone to do throughout the day. It made my eating more intentional, and I very safely lost the weight I wanted to lose, and fast.

Do a bit more core/weight lifting. Getting that 500 calorie deficit is easier if you burn 250 more calories a day, and eat 250 less calories. Be patient. Racing weight matters in november.

If you’re extremely skinny, and you’re burning tons of calories while running, eating a lot is what you’re supposed to be doing. You’re putting yourself at risk if you’re not eating enough while burning so much calories. This is mostly for already underweight runners. It’s all about a good mix. Fruits, vegetables, whole grain stuff is all good, but don’t be afraid to mix in some burgers, candy, ice cream. A little bit of that stuff won’t hurt you