Division 1 Rankings:
- Madison West - Won Big Eight over Middleton 56-67; Beat Arrowhead at Eagle
- Arrowhead - Won quality CL8 by 35pts; 1st at Midwest; Lost by 1pt to West at Eagle
- Middleton - 2nd at Big Eight; Beat West at Verona; Beat Arrowhead at Arrowhead
- Oconomowoc - Solid #1-6 at WLT; Low point scorer and excellent balance
- South Milwaukee - Won Woodland; Low scoring #1-2 and good #3-5 balance
- Neenah - Good Neenah returns for 23pt win over Kimberly at FVA; 2nd at Midwest
- Homestead- Won NSC by 19pts over Germantown; Best #1-2 in WI; #4-5 need to come down
- Sun Prairie - 3rd at Big Eight; Solid #1-2 but needs more balance to move higher
- Madison Memorial - 4th at Big Eight; Need to put it together on the same day
- Hudson - Won BRC by 45pts; Balanced team all around
- West Bend West - 2nd at WLT; Very solid #1-3, #4-5-6 need to have more impact
- Monona Grove - Won Badger South by 32pts; Not the same 4th place team from Midwest
- Stevens Point - Won WVC by 59pts; No one doubts the talent but the races aren’t there
- Green Bay Preble - Won FRCC by 23pts at Colburn Park over unranked Bay Port
- Madison La Follette - 5th at Big Eight; Potential 1pt and excellent #2 but balance is hot/cold
Honorable mention: (no order and this is an incomplete list of teams that helped with the “divide”)
Eau Claire Memorial
I went through a checklist of big picture topics after conference weekend. It included questions like:
- How did the team fare at conference?
- What were the weather / post-weather conditions?
- Was this a deep conference or was conference simply a walk through checkpoint?
- Was it a commanding win or did they barely edge unranked opponents?
- A win by over 20pts against lower ranked or near ranked opponents?
- Less than 30pt wins against teams not near the rankings?
- How does the course compare to the Ridges?
- How would this team fare in a state meet setting where 16:40-17:20 runners will be heavily displaced?
Please notice I ranked Oconomowoc #4 and West Bend West #11 even though they were just 5pts apart in the WLT results. Also take note that the Big Eight 5th place finisher Madison La Follette had a less than stellar performance from their #3-5 and lost to Sun Prairie and Memorial by ~20pts. This says two things. One, that the gap between #15 and #9 is just that – 20pts. Second, similar to Homestead, La Follette has the ability to jump really high. It was very difficult to stomach a #15 ranking for La Follette despite previous in-season successes and how much lenience their #3-5 will get if Finn and Freitag combine for 12pts if the team qualifies for state. Memorial can also jump pretty high too if they put it all together on the same day which I don’t think they have yet. Monona Grove and Stevens Point dropped in the rankings this week despite both squads having decent credentials. Monona Grove does not appear to be the same force as it was a month ago at Midwest – which could be part of the plan. Stevens Point would be ranked higher if they put three runners in front of Wausau East’s #2 at WVC and plainly it’s worrisome that they didn’t given the talent on the team. Perhaps this weekend and last SPASH could afford to train-through (must be nice). Lastly, Green Bay Preble won an easier conference on an easier course whereas teams in the Big Eight and Homestead ran on courses that compare well to the Ridges (Tendick & Verona).