Customize/Dye Your Spikes

My attempt at some flyknit victories. I had a lot of trouble with the toe box but other than that I think they turned out well. They feel really good when running with them so I might use them as a workout spike. Thanks to the many people that I sent messages to asking for advice. I couldn’t of done it with out your help.

I am in desperate need of help. Not quite on topic but close enough. My OG Victories (red/green) are pretty old but not very worn out at all. However, the insoles have gone to sh*t. I decided to try to find new insoles and see how it works, but I cannot for the life of me find anything flat, cushionless, and without arch support anywhere on the entire internet. There is an obsession with “orthotic” and “massaging” insoles from every single retailer (when orthotics really don’t fix any arch problems at all, only make them worse) so I need help finding a flat, basic insole that has very little cushion.
The only flat insole I found is the Spenco RX Comfort, but I tried it yesterday and its still too thick and cushiony for a track spike.

Cork insoles perhaps? I had some in my casual shoes and they worked like a dream. Paper thin, no cushion, but molds to the shoe and foot perfectly. You may be able to find some or might have to make your own.

Honestly, I pulled the insoles out of another pair of OG vics (ones that had ripped uppers and were totally done anyway), but I’m sure you could do the same with a different spike or streak LT. Just melt the glue and then glue it into the vics. The spike insoles are basically just thin pieces of felt (or something similar).

I posted about this months ago, but I can finally say that I completed my project today!!! Not sure what to call them, but they’re Streak Lt 3’s with Vic 2 spike plates. The whole project took me around 8 hours and there were some “technical difficulties” along the way. Overall, they turned out better than I expected and I plan on wearing them for some strides tomorrow. If anyone has questions feel free to send them my way!

Did you use the same size spikes and flats? What adhesive did you use? What were some of the technical difficulties?

Those look dope. I’m interested to know how they feel.

Wore them for a few strides yesterday. First impressions are good. They felt super responsive and the spike plates add some “stiffness” which I really enjoy. I’m a mid distance runner and I’ll definitely be using them for workouts come indoor season. We’ll have to wait and see how they hold up during an actual workout, but so far I’m very optimistic.

Now to answer a few questions that were sent to me…

-I used the same size spike and flats. In this case I used size 9.5 for both.

-For adhesive, normal super glue seems to get the job done. In the past I’ve created 5 pairs of custom/hybrid spikes, and I’ve never had a problem with normal Loctite Super Glue. Essentially you’re just glueing rubber to rubber, and ordinary super glue creates a pretty strong bond between the two.

-Someone asked if I, “boiled the original spikes and peeled the spike plates off”. I tried that years ago on another project and it doesn’t work. Don’t try it. In this case the best option is to buy a flathead X-ACTO knife and start cutting. The same goes for the rubber on the racing flat.

-How much did it cost me? Uhmm $55 for the Streak 3’s / 0$ for the spikes (given to me by a friend because they tore them during a workout) / $15 for the knife and glue. If you wanted to make your own pair I would estimate it would cost you around $90 (unless you already own the spikes/flats).

-Will I make a pair for you? I would consider it, but realistically you all could make these on your own. I’ll continue to answer any questions via DM, but just do it yourself.

Finally…technical difficulties!!!

1. Somehow I lost one of the spike plates and as a result had to destroy a whole second pair of Vic 2’s. That explains why one shoe has the blue plate and the other is white.

2. The first time I cut out the large section of rubber in the flat I cut WAY too deep into the foam. As a result, the spike plate sat well below the black rubber…which is obviously a problem. To fix this I essentially cut small, thin pieces of rubber and used them as support. I glued the spike plate on top of these “support” pieces and it was good as new!

One more thing to add, and this is meant for anyone trying to do a custom job on their Streak 3’s. Remember that the forefoot of the Streak 3’s ISN’T flat. There is a very minor, but noticeable curve to the rubber on the front of the shoe. If you want to cut the rubber so the spike plate lies flush on the shoe, you have to angle your knife with the curvature of the shoe while you cut. (If this doesn’t make sense then just ignore it)

Sorry for the wall of text. Hopefully that helps!

I second that caution about cutting too deep into the streaks. I did the same thing while working on my streaktumbos. I ended up layering little sheets of foam back on the bottom just to get the plate to stick out again, causing me to spent the rest of my project worrying if it would hold up during workouts.

PhotoShop

He probably did this, and then applied 3 stripes

I have a pair of streak lt3 and a pair of matumbo 3’s both size 10… thinking of making a streaktumbo, looking for some help. If anyone has done it or has any advice, let me know!

Copying and pasting from my previous response…

Step 1: Understand that you are destroying your pair of tumbos.

Step 2: Knowing this, pull out an X-Acto knife and cut the plate off the Matumbo. I always “trace” around the spike plate with the knife first. Now begin chiseling away with your knife. This will take a while and it won’t be pretty. I always focus on one side of the spike first and work my way around the horseshoe plate.

Step 3: Once both plates are removed, focus on peeling off all the excess rubber and glue so that you are left with just the two plastic horseshoe plates. (This is actually easier than it sounds)

Step 4: Arrange the plate on your lt3 and determine how it will best fit.

Step 5: The horseshoe plate will be too narrow for the shoe, so you’ll have to split the plate towards the top.

Step 6: Remove some rubber on your lt3’s so that the plate will actually fit on the shoe (by far the worst step). Remember…don’t cut too deep! Your goal should be to cut JUST the black rubber off the shoe.

Step 7: Glue the plates on the shoe and let them sit for 12-24 hours. (Honestly the type of glue doesn’t really matter. I use normal super glue and it always does the job)

Use this picture as a visual guide of how it should look (CarObsessed13’s photo…not mine). You can rearrange the spike plate in any orientation you like. I haven’t made streaktumbos from an LT 3…but I’ve made 4 or 5 pairs from LT 2’s and I’m sure the procedure is basically the same. Message me if you need more help.

do you know if since they are both size 10 the plate will not need to be cut?

the plate will probably still need to be cut if you want to fit in around the outside. spikes generally have a more narrow footprint.

Could you not heat the spikeplate and stretch it a bit to make it fit?
Or have a us12 spikeplate for a us9 streak maybe?

i once made these and that was my first custom pair…

That’s right. I “stretched” my us9 victory xc plate and it fits perfectly on some us9 streak lt3.

This might be a dumb question, but does anyone have any tips on washing spikes? I want to use my Avantis between track and XC and was wondering if there are any special precautions I need to take for any of the materials, or if I should even try at all.

In college I wore OG vic’s in cross and after muddy races I would just bring them into the shower with me, gently but thoroughly remove all of the debris using only lukewarm water, and set them down next to me on the quad for a few hours to air dry. They handled it great. Just be aware that parts of shoes are held together with glue, which can be broken down with really hot water. So, like I said above, some warm water and manual scrubbing should work.

Seconded, my experience exactly