College(s) Recommendation

I have been doing college searching for awhile now. I’m a senior in a high school and still pretty much have no idea where I want to go. I know that I want to run in college and I am fully willing to walk on to a team if the college is the right fit. This was my second year of cross country and this spring will be my second year of track.

PR’s-
Junior Year (first year) off of 30-35mpw for both XC and track
3mi XC-17:51
800m- 2:07
1600m- 4:56

Senior Year (this year/second year) off of highest of 60mpw
3mi XC- 15:57 (splits: 4:56, 10:22, 15:57)

Like I said I know I’m not that great but I have only just started competitively running. I definitly feel like I can improve on down the road.

Sparknotes:
Recommend me a college to look at. I am willing to check out anywhere.

got a preference for location?

EDIT: saw you were willing to check out anywhere. Brevard College in North Carolina, great place to train (if you don’t mind some hippies) plus I hear the coach they have isn’t too bad.

if it makes you feel better you’re better than me

Hi I’m a junior girl and just started looking at colleges. I really want to be able to run in college but I know my times aren’t top notch. I’m not a superstar myself but this year my school’s cross country team is very good and I’m a solid number 4/5. Any recommendations for the division I should go for/ and if so, are there any schools you would recommend? Thanks so much! I need all the help I can get. All of these times besides the 5k are from my freshman or sophomore years so I’m hoping to improve them, especially since I missed my entire spring season to an injury.

800: 2:28
1600: 5:39
3200: 12:28
XC 5K: 20:52

Definitely look at all the top end LACs like Middlebury, Williams, Amherst, Tufts, etc. This applies basically to the both of you (girl and thread starter)

Also give a shout out to the Ivies and show them you’re interested. My sophomore I was running 10:30 and I still got recruited as I showed explicit interest. (Girl)

Both Middlebury and Williams have strong women’s teams, Middlebury being the better of the two of course. I loved their school and the academics are top notch.

Go to the schools athletic websites, fill out some questionnaires AND email the coaches. I cannot stress enough how good emailing the coaches looks.

Definitely look at all the top end LACs like Middlebury, Williams, Amherst, Tufts, etc.

Also give a shout out to the Ivies and show them you’re interested. My sophomore I was running 10:30 and I still got recruited as I showed explicit interest.

Both Middlebury and Williams have strong women’s teams, Middlebury being the better of the two of course. I loved their school and the academics are top notch.

Go to the schools athletic websites, fill out some questionnaires AND email the coaches. I cannot stress enough how good emailing the coaches looks.

I have a teammate with very similar times who will be running at Trinity.

You’re from Illinois right?
What are you’re academic interests?
I would suggest (of course) that you consider Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin. We have a great coach who is quite entertaining (he’s only in his upper 20s), and a vastly improved team (we went from 6th in the Midwest Conference to 2nd in a year, and look to have a legit recruiting class coming in next year as well). Plus we’re a top ranked liberal arts college and one of the nations best music schools (if you’re into that thing…I’m not personally). Plus financial aid is incredibly legit for a school that cost >$40,000 a year.
/recruiting pitch (PM me if are actually interested and want more info)

In general though, DIII is awesome and someone of your ability should look there, because I personally think it would be better to actually run (and in you’re case be in contention for a varsity spot) for a decent DIII team than to struggle to walk on at a DI school.

I had the exact same 8-3200 pr’s in hs (we ran a 4k instead of a 5k for cc) and I run d3 at uw-whitewater in wisconsin. if you’re from the midwest i strongly suggest most of the schools in the WIAC conference! Most of the uw schools also have extremely successful/well established programs.

If you’re interested at all feel free to pm me!

Augustana College, Rock Island, Il. Great Track and Cross Country Program every year.

We could probably help more if we knew what part of the country you wanted to go to, the size of the school you wanted, what kind of grades you get, what you might be interested in majoring in? Both of you could run for hundreds of schools with your times, so it’s tough to narrow it down with just times. My biggest advice would be to look for a school you’re going to like the most where you can still run.

To both posters: running will not be what defines your life (unless you run 4:0x or 4:4x this spring).
Go to the best academic institution you can gain admittance to, provided it is in a pleasant area that you will enjoy for 4-5 years.
Don’t get too caught up in the running thing. It seems like a big deal now, but it’s really not.

My take:

[CENTER]STEP ONE
[/CENTER]

ACADEMICS: There’s undoubtedly a top 5% of colleges and a bottom 5% of colleges. For the remaining 90% in between, there’s very little discernible difference between them despite what all those goofy rankings tell you. What makes the difference in that 90% is how well a particular institution fits you; that’s what makes one “better” than the other. Even at that, what makes the top 5% the top 5% isn’t what they teach, it’s who they let in. I’ve long held the hypothesis that if you took Harvard, Yale or Stanford’s incoming freshman class, split it in half randomly, left one half there, sent the other half to a garden variety state university and could test them upon graduation, you wouldn’t see a statistically significant difference between the two groups. Smart, motivated people grow where ever they’re planted.

However, (and this is significant), what that top 5% gives you isn’t so much a better education but better access. It opens doors simply because of the name on the diploma. I turned down a Tier One (and those rankings are a joke, IMHO) law school to go to a Tier Three law school. I graded on to law journal by being in the top 10% of my class after first semester and never looked back. I had plenty of opportunities, but there were undoubtedly a few doors that would never be open to me because I didn’t have a brand name on my diploma. And I wouldn’t change my decision even today, twenty years later.

So, what to do:

Find the colleges at which you feel the most comfortable. The ones that make you feel like you belong, that inspire you, with which you feel a connection. The places you feel like you’d grow and learn and want to be even if you weren’t running. Places that are good in the areas you want to study. If you want to be an engineer, who cares how good their journalism school is? Look for places that act like they actually want you there instead of doing you a favor by letting you in.

Once you have this list, THEN consider the relative “quality”, to the extent that can even be measured accurately.

Then, and only then, proceed to the next step.

[CENTER]STEP TWO
[/CENTER]

RUNNING: First, be very cautious about going someplace because of the coach. Coaches sometimes leave, and if you’re recruited, you sign a letter of intent with the school, not the coach. If the coach leaves, you still have a commitment to the school.

Second, pay more attention to your potential future teammates than the coach. You’ll spend far more time with them and be influenced as much or more by them than you will the coach. These will be your comrades in arms, the ones that will either help make you better or try to destroy you or not give a damn about you. Choose them carefully.

Third, look for trends in their athletes. Trends and patterns are much more important than individual results. Do they keep running after college? Do they get better as the years go by or are they cooked by their senior year? It looks like you haven’t been running long; do they have a history of developing undeveloped talent? What will you be expected to be able to do the day you hit campus?

Now, take the list from Step One and match it with the list from Step Two. Where they intersect, that’s the school(s) you want to go to.

I think this is actually a pretty good description of Harvard/Yale/Princeton’s admissions process.

I would agree. Choose a school on academics, but know that the school you choose isn’t going to determine the rest of your life. I have a 1470 SAT and am going to a state school where the average is around 1200, if that, but am getting through school on about $12,000 a year. I got into much “better” schools, but where I am now is less than a quarter the price.
However, I am planning on attending law school and am planning on going to a name brand school for that. It will then be a bit more worthwhile to fork over 70k a year.
As far as undergrad goes, if you go to a decent, reputable school and come out with a good GPA, you will be able to have a future. The top schools will only get you a name on a piece of paper, and possibly a few more connections (amongst an air of pretentious douchebaggery for some).

No, a LOT more connections in some instances. No denying that.

This depends on what you’re studying, too, and at what level you’re studying it. Generic major at basic undergrad level - yeah, maybe the top schools are only good for the connections and the piece of paper (though those are not things to scoff at entirely).

Yeah I agree with you for that. If you really want to be an engineer or something, MIT or Cal-tech would look really good.

I’m personally having to make a hard choice. I have a guaranteed sophomore transfer to the Cornell ILR school, which would be 3x as much as Buffalo. Considering I’m planning on going to law school, I am probably just going to go with what is more affordable for my family, Buffalo.

Recommendation: Pay for Law school yourself and take Cornell.

In regards to DIII schools, any information on UW Oshkosh?