biggest sectional surprises

figure one more fun discussion forum before we pick our horses for state. I will start out with 2. Jacques from oconomowoc. I’ve seen plenty of 1530s and 1540s in this state but 1524 is starting to get elite and it’s better timing than Gus 15:19 from a peaking perspective. given this elite time I know very little about him. Brook Jaworski is an incredible athlete. not many 200/400 meter runners are winning cross country sectionals in this country.

Not sure if it was a surprise but Kimberly taking down Green Bay Preble. Also WBW beating Neenah and La Crosse Central overcoming other cusp teams to qualify.

Sun Prairie vs Monona Grove vs Oconomowoc vs La Follette vs Craig -

I had Ocon ranked #4 last week. I dont think it was necessarily wrong and I think they still ran like a #4 team with Jacques up top, a 16:21 freshman, etc. Sun Prairie ran like a top state team and Monona Grove proved to have a second wind from what looked like a dwindling season. In the background Craig peaked super well and ran like a top ten team too. First five teams averaged 16:19-16:27 per scorer.

Also Madison Memorial nearly put 4 qualifiers through as their #4 was 16:36 and one spot/one second away.

Nothing too crazy with the D2 individuals but Shorewood girls not qualifying as a team and Grafton advancing! Slightly surprised with DVMP beating Monroe.