Andrews This Afternoon

Will be live on Flotrack at 2:40 our time.

Given the way that 10k was run, not sure that Des Moines is the best place for this meet. Combo of muggy weather and nothing on the line in a non-championship year…still something tells me they wouldn’t have been running 73’s in the first 5k if it were held in Eugene or Palo Alto.

Grote

I don;t know Ryan, I watched that 10K race and it was unwatchable, maybe they would have run 70’s instead!! :smiley:

Andrews had an easy trip yesterday, ought to let the dogs out today you would think

800’s maginally affected by heat, altho they really have to re think these venues

I am interested to see how Fitzsimons runs for obvious reasons as folks know I am a hige fan of Nova, but also to see what he could possibly have in the tank as he has gone:

1:47.15

4:05.7

1:49.36

and now final today in less than full week, that is a LOT of high quality efforts for a HS’er

In fact I doubt too many have had a more productive 6 days in a while?

Indeed. FitzSimmons ran pretty hard last week. It could be assumed that I would root against FitzSimmons, but not the case. Great to see 'Nova land a truly special talent like him. It could be said that I have some bias/rooting interest for Andrews and The University of Vigilante, that said, its interesting to see how this one goes because FitzSimmons appears to be more a grinding, strong type of real fast guy. Not trying to knock him, just don’t see that big, shifty rev up type of gear. Not many have that type of gear the way Andrews does, but there are different ways to skin the proverbial cat. Some very special talents out there in mid-distances these days with Andrews, Greer, Loxson, FitzSimmons and so on. Heck, Wheating is not exactly an old man. Out of this young group, the law of averages should dictate that a few of the many will stay pretty healthy and develop into big time guys. Ultimately you’d figure not all are 800 guys and will be very good milers.

As for the meet/heat, having it right in the middle of the day is tough, not that big of an effect physiologically, but many used to racing in the evening, working out in the evening now.

Grote

Hard to be critical of Andrews or coach, things happen…but a bit too far back again against a pretty good guy in Loxsom. He’s young, has all the tools, maybe needs to hone that real KILLER edge, hatred of losing, lagging back too far a bit, and sky’s the proverbial limit.

Nice win for Wilson.

Grote

second time in a row he gives WAYYY too much room to quality guy,

NCAA gets a total pass, this was poorly thought thru, no other way to say it really if folks think he is the best guy or even frosh, you cannot give away that race like that.

you cannot always be so comfortable as to be jogging and beat everyone, my same criticism of Symmonds has to play here as well.

you cannot be dead last every race and win, just will not happen

The Dave Wottle thing worked a couple times but cannot every time.

Originally posted by king99@Jun 25 2010, 01:47 PM
[b] second time in a row he gives WAYYY too much room to quality guy,

NCAA gets a total pass, this was poorly thought thru, no other way to say it really if folks think he is the best guy or even frosh, you cannot give away that race like that.

you cannot always be so comfortable as to be jogging and beat everyone, my same criticism of Symmonds has to play here as well.

you cannot be dead last every race and win, just will not happen

The Dave Wottle thing worked a couple times but cannot every time. [/b]

I haven’t seen today’s race, but I’m also guessing Andrews & Co. catch on to things quickly w/ regard to giving too much away.

Not sure there was anything Andrews could have done to change things at NCAAs - not only did Andrews dig a hole, but Wheating closed faster as well.

Oh Kevin and Ryan, I would totally think that, that they figure it out, but if you saw today, and hope you will on replay, it was a classic mistake seriously.

Gives away way too much off very moderate fractions, other guys can also run off of 54.4

he was .6 or so back of Loxsom at 400 dead last by a bit , closed faster by .3 lost by .3 and never close really at all.

Nothing lost for Andrews. He didn’t have to win it since he has the World Junior standard by a large margin. I think he will take the Junior Championship quite seriously, but if he lets the field get away in Moncton then he needs to reexamine his racing strategies.

here is a thought for folks altho I am SURE Coach Vigilante needs no help from me.

Andrews ran his most impressive and fastest race off positive, NOT negative fractions going by in 52.x I believe it was in his 1:45.54

When you open up a world of possibilities being in last in 54.x races lots of stuff can happen.

Originally posted by king99@Jun 25 2010, 12:20 PM
[b] I don;t know Ryan, I watched that 10K race and it was unwatchable, maybe they would have run 70’s instead!! :smiley:

Andrews had an easy trip yesterday, ought to let the dogs out today you would think

800’s maginally affected by heat, altho they really have to re think these venues

I am interested to see how Fitzsimons runs for obvious reasons as folks know I am a hige fan of Nova, but also to see what he could possibly have in the tank as he has gone:

1:47.15

4:05.7

1:49.36

and now final today in less than full week, that is a LOT of high quality efforts for a HS’er

In fact I doubt too many have had a more productive 6 days in a while? [/b]

Remember that Fitz did not race much this outdoor season because of the injury he sustained at NIN. Even after he was feeling better, his coach told me they held him back to be 100% sure he was ready and it seems to have paid off.

Well, well done by them, guy is very very tough putting togther that stretch especially hanging on today, 54.x 54.x

He likes those even splits. When he legged that 1:47.15 at NBN his splits were slightly negative if I recall correctly.

No excuses, but Robby is a young kid, a nice guy, even comes across as a goofy kid at times. He’ll mature, get experience and more confidence to put himself in the position he needs to be in. I don’t think its a conscious decision to hang back because he feels cocky that he’ll run everybody down, that is just what he is comfortable with and reverts to at times. As good as he is, as much as he has accomplished, some of this is new territory. For awhile everything was great, sky’s the limit, now things are EXPECTED and people think its a downer when he’s 2nd at NCAA’s. Doubt he cares what people think, but he is having fun out there, gets along with these guys, etc. Look at his interviews and how he talks about guys like Wheating and Loxsom. He actually seems to LIKE them. Maybe he needs to be a bit nasty…have a bit of that Bob Gibson throw at your head type of quality, who knows. Everybody is different. Credit a big talent like Loxsom for not letting him get away with hanging that far back. Great careers ahead for both. I think the world of Robby and will root hard for him and UVa as long as Coach Vig is there (which will be long), but take nothing for granted. Huge possibilities, but NCAA titles, national championships, World and Olympic teams are not a given no matter what event or who you are.

Grote