All-Time Big Eight

we talked about this before but Down’s 14:56 in I believe 1990 is very suspect. We had boys in that race who ran huge PR’s so we measured the course and found it to be significantly short so we did not allow the times run on that course that day to be on our all time lists. I hope I am not going to be fined by the WIAA 29 years later for talking about a short course. The Midwest course has been at Blackhawk for many years as I ran in that meet in high school. The exact layout however has change numerous times. Since the present coaches have been there the course(except for last year’s supper wet course) have been the same and on the 5K mark. Bosely’s sub 15 time from last year on a 3 lap wet course I would say is legit and on but I truly think Bosley is on another planet than Downs was, taking nothing away from Downs.

I am sure Kevin Sippy was on the sidelines recently for his daughter. He must have been class of 1986 or so with cross town rival Eric Stabb of Janesville Parker. Stabb ran for the Badgers. My guess would be Sippy was in that 1:56-4:19-9:35 range.

Stabb is just off the 3200 top 20 with his 9:19 junior year mark. I know for a fact Stabb ran 4:19 and held the meet record at the old Janesville Invitational held first week of May so not far off in the 1600 either but the lists had to stop somewhere!

Speaking of Janesville I have excellent memories from Monterey Stadium. It used to be a nice tune up!
What a nice gem for the city of Janesville! Not even sure if that meet is run anymore?

Poor Sun Prairie – they must be stuck at around 1:56, 4:20 and 9:20 from the 90s. Couple candidates since to break those marks just haven’t done it I don’t think.

@zen Bran foster from Madison west should be on your list. I don’t know his pr but it’s faster than 1:56.3. He ran 1:56.6 sectionals as a junior in 1989 but I thought he ran faster at state. In 1990 he did well at state possibly second and would have likely broke 1:56.3 in prelims and finals. He was a solid runner not great but consistent and competitive. I would be shocked if he didn’t break 1:56 more likely 1:55.5

Don’t forget Glen Herold from Watertown. He was right next to Cautley in that famous MG mile battle I believe. at least 4:10 I believe. Sorry Zen I am wrong Glen was NOT Big 8. You probably have him on your overall all time lists.

I think in 2011 nine guys broke 1:55. I remember years not far back when 1:56+ would win state.

Aaron levenson finished 2nd at distance night in palatine. 1:55.97. He beat potter franz and a better than expected Gilles (1:57s). Expect him to make Zens above lists by sectionals assuming he stays healthy

THE BIG EIGHT ALIGNMENT HISTORY

Below you will find maps and respective mascot indexes for each of the different conference alignments in the Current Big Eight’s history 1925 to the present. If you are on desktops you can click on the first image below to expand it and then scroll through the others using :arrow_left: and :arrow_right: buttons on your keyboard. On mobile devices the gallery navigation arrows will automatically show.

THE BIG SIX - 1925 to 1927

SCHOOLS
BELOIT MADISON CENTRAL
JANESVILLE MADISON EAST
KENOSHA RACINE

THE BIG SEVEN - 1928 to 1929

SCHOOLS
BELOIT MADISON CENTRAL
JANESVILLE MADISON EAST
KENOSHA RACINE HORLICK
RACINE PARK

THE ORIGINAL BIG EIGHT - 1930 to 1934