2012 Track and Field

Any (way too early) favorites to bring home trophies in any of 3 classes this year?

Class A saw a few annual powers move up to AA. With Winnebago, Herrin and a few others gone from the class A field, some new teams could make a run. Leo looks like they lost a strong senior class, but they always seem to reload. SJO looks to have some big meet points returning. Harrisburg lost Rollins but has some young talent. Thoughts?

In AA, the defending champs from Cahokia loose the duo of Carter and Ward, but return some very good young runners. Will they make another run? Mt. Vernon looks like they have some firepower back to make a little noise. Chatham, Belvidere North, and Glenbard South all had successful campaigns in 2011, can they do it again?

The AAA field will be glad to see the Kline’s and Ziemek graduate. Can Lake Park rebound from loosing some of the best field athletes in recent memory? OPRF will return some talent and will score some points both in the field and on the track. York lost Driggs, who was a double gold medal winner, but they will be competitive as they always are on the track. BV West always has solid relays and will score some points with Randolph in the 400. With Faust graduating, Thornton looses their stud. Crete returns Hulbert in the hurdles who should be favored to win both events and score big points. Plainfield North and South both had solid teams last season and could make a run at a trophy. Who else could make a run? Mt. Prospect, Edwardsville, East Moline?

For 3A york wins easy. They will score a lot of point from the field events this year and they haven’t scored in the field for a while.

You’re right, they have two 14 foot vaulters, thrower Paul Golen, and a 43 foot triple jumper. Golen trained at LP this summer, so that should help him out in the throws too.

Just don’t sleep on Lake Park this year. And Neuqua too. With Jacob Bender and Mark Derrick leading the charge, they have plenty of firepower to come out and do some real damage

Belvidere North along with schools like Yorkville, Crystal Lake Central, East Moline, Normal West were all 2A for cross-country and are now 3A for track.

Chicago University is 1A for boys track, 2A for cross-country and girls track.

The following schools were 1A for cross-country and now are 2A for track:

Benton
Bloomington (Central Catholic)
Breese (Central)
Canton
Champaign (St. Thomas More)
Chicago (Brooks)
Chicago (Gordon Tech)
Chicago (Harper)
Chicago (Manley)
Chillicothe (Illinois Valley Central)
Clifton (Central)
Clinton
Columbia
Fairbury (Prairie Central)
Freeburg
Genoa (G.-Kingston)
Harrisburg
Harvard
Herrin (H.S.)
Herscher
Kankakee (McNamara)
Lisle (Sr.)
Macomb
Melrose Park (Walther Lutheran)
Mendota
Metropolis (Massac County)
Mt. Carmel
Mt. Zion
Murphysboro
Olney (East Richland)
Paris
Plano
Princeton
Rantoul
River Grove (Guerin)
Rochester
Rock Falls
Rock Island (Alleman)
Rockford (R. Christian)
Roxana
Sandwich
Stanford (Olympia)
Westchester (St. Joseph)
Wood River (East Alton-W.R.)
Woodstock (Marian)
Joliet (Catholic Academy)
Richmond (R.-Burton)
Manteno
Lombard (Montini)

Oak Park (Fenwick), and Arlington Heights (St. Viator) are both 2A for track.
Lisle (Benet Academy) and Chicago (DuSable) is 2A for boys, 3A for girls.

Chicago (North Lawndale Charter) was 1A for cross-country but 3A for boys and girls track. (They’re my vote for most royally screwed by the new multiplier system.)

The following schools were 2A for cross country and are 3A for track:

Belvidere (North)
Bensenville (Fenton)
Bloomington (H.S.)
Calumet City (Thornton Fractional North)
Chicago (Dunbar)
Chicago (Hyde Park)
Chicago (Juarez)
Chicago (Kennedy)
Chicago (Kenwood)
Chicago (Lake View)
Chicago (Little Village)
Chicago (Mather)
Chicago (Morgan Park)
Chicago (Payton)
Chicago (Simeon)
Chicago (Von Steuben)
Crete (C.-Monee)
Crystal Lake (Central)
DeKalb
Dolton (Thornridge)
East Moline (United)
East St. Louis (Sr.)
Grayslake (North)
Lemont (H.S.)
Normal (Community West)
Oak Forest
Olympia Fields (Rich Central)
Peoria (Richwoods)
Rock Island (H.S.)
Springfield (H.S.)
Yorkville
Chicago Heights (Marian) (Girls XC 3A, guys 2A)

Edit

I don’t think you can say they will win easy when it’s November. Especially when they probably won’t get as many points out of the distance events.

I’m going to say that Later probably wins the 1600. He might double with the 3200 but I don’t think he wins both. I also think Filipczak of Maine South will probably win the 800. A lot of time between now and late May though so things could change.

They have a 14’3 pole vaulter, a 14’0 pole vaulter, a 43’4 triple jumper, and a 52/155 shot/disc thrower

AAA pole vault is up for grabs with no clear cut favorite. A bunch of kids around that 14’ mark so very possible.

AAA triple jump had 9 underclassmen surpass the 45’ mark last year so there is some pretty good competition there.

AAA shot is also a much different event without the Kline’s. Anyone who works with that throws coach is a threat. He has done an amazing job there at Lake Park. Mid 50s could score some big points at state. Disc is also wide open with a bunch of AAA athletes around the 150 mark returning.

York also has mimlitz clink milling and mroz. If and that’s is a big if, if they can all stay healthy their distance team will be dangerous.

I would not say there is a clear favorite at all, I would say that there are strong teams such as York or Wheaton North which if i’m not mistaken has a really strong sprint squad which i think would be a lot of help with the distance field looking like it will mostly be composed of individuals with York perhaps managing to snag a few points here and there on the distance front. All in all i think it will be an extremely low scoring meet on all fronts team wise.

On the individual side of things i think that there really isn’t anyone capable of pulling off a successful double as Driggs did last year, so that really opens up the the track for individuals I have Malachy winning the two mile. I picked Malachy because he has beat Later pretty handily (is Later injured?) in the last two meets and was still decently close to him at state; his big advantage however will be his speed which we all know he has.

P.S. - Does anyone know how many people are returning for Minooka’s 4X800?

3a predictions:

3200-Malachy my bold pick is Derrick or Yunk for the win

1600-Later my bold pick is Lederhouse for the win

Teams- WSC Silver will bring home state title, albeit either oprf or york, only time will tell

I think that Both Malachy and Later are capable of winning that double, and Minooka returns Popek and Santillo off their 4x8

I think Eric Gordon is a very clear favorite in Pole Vault. Only returning 15 footer, did it multiple times, and has Cockerham as a coach.

Oak Park more like CHOKE PARK

We get it. You go to York.

I actually don’t go to York but my cousin does and she tells me a lot about their team. And you can’t deny the fact that oak park chokes every year that they get a high ranking.

If you’re referring to 2010, you’re dead wrong. Devin Banks was running on a pulled hamstring. If he’s healthy, he was top 3 in the 100 and 200 along with anchoring both their relays. Trust me, they’re not choke artists

Why would you even say that? What’s wrong with you?

I think Eric Gordon is a very clear favorite in Pole Vault. Only returning 15 footer, did it multiple times, and has Cockerham as a coach.[/quote]

Guess I skipped over him looking through the dyestat outdoor rankings from last year. Being the only 15’ would undoubtedly make him the favorite.

I think this is what Newman was talking about

Yup!